2013 NARBC Arlington TX Surprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
After meeting Kelly and a bunch of other guys on tortoiseforum at the convention, I began my long search for what I planned to bring home. Wasn't looking for any tortoises as I'm waiting for my move to Florida next year ( waiting for Daytona show). Started looking around and there was quite the selections of aquatic/box turtles.....but as much as I wanted to buy northern wood turtles and spotteds, they were all just way to small of a hatchling to deal with ( spotted where still nickel size). so your probably asking, what in the heck did you get..... Well after months of debate and working out a budget for a future monster tank/pond in Florida.... I purchased my first Borneo Painted River Turtle.... The guy had just got them in from a breeder in Florida...forgot the guys name but as soon as I got home (4hr drive) he took straight off to eating greens :) Will post pictures tomorrow of the little guy, I'll be putting him in his 125gal tank till he reaches a Juvenile then I'll have him in a 600gal poly tank. These guys are so sociable and memorizing to watch swim....and by the way....these little guys have extremely powerful legs for hatchlings so if you ever get one make sure you have both hands available.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
AustinASU said:
After meeting Kelly and a bunch of other guys on tortoiseforum at the convention, I began my long search for what I planned to bring home. Wasn't looking for any tortoises as I'm waiting for my move to Florida next year ( waiting for Daytona show). Started looking around and there was quite the selections of aquatic/box turtles.....but as much as I wanted to buy northern wood turtles and spotteds, they were all just way to small of a hatchling to deal with ( spotted where still nickel size). so your probably asking, what in the heck did you get..... Well after months of debate and working out a budget for a future monster tank/pond in Florida.... I purchased my first Borneo Painted River Turtle.... The guy had just got them in from a breeder in Florida...forgot the guys name but as soon as I got home (4hr drive) he took straight off to eating greens :) Will post pictures tomorrow of the little guy, I'll be putting him in his 125gal tank till he reaches a Juvenile then I'll have him in a 600gal poly tank. These guys are so sociable and memorizing to watch swim....and by the way....these little guys have extremely powerful legs for hatchlings so if you ever get one make sure you have both hands available.

Are you going to Daytona next week?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Great seeing you Austin and many others. That is a great looking turtles you got. That was Russ Hurley and all his turtles from different TTPG members and associates.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Hahah thanks Kelly, I'm horrible with names. Gerards I wont be making it to this daytona show unfortunately (college is about to start back up). I'll be there for next years though and I'm totally stoked ( by then i hope to pick up several new species (if the misses gets her crested geckos that is). But as promised here's new pics of the little guy.....these guys are funny to watch eat their mouths are so small and they haven't learned to hold onto their food with his/her feet yet. (Hey Kelly did you ever find out who the guy was that was breeding the vietnamese leaf turtles and keeled boxies?)

Attachments

• IMG_1118.JPG
    IMG_1118.JPG
    996.4 KB · Views: 49

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Well guys here's an update as of 9/29/2013 my little Borneo now weighs in at 111g with a 8.25cm carapace length. A lot of growth considering that i purchased him on 8/10/2013 at 52 grams.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Thank you sir! I'll post a video of him sometime in the near future. They are probably one of the most graceful swimmers of the fresh water realm besides the pignose.

Status
Not open for further replies.