2 tortoises..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemmyLou

5 Year Member
I bought two tortoises at the age of 3 about 2/3 weeks ago and one of them bit they other so i thought id add another salad dish so they both had enough but he keeps biting the other one and goes to both bowls.. we have had them sexed and one has a slit and the other as a star on its tail.. which they say male and female. need help on advice.. /: as boyfriend is making a tortoise table and need to know weather or not he should make one each

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Have you posted pictures here of their plastrons (bottom shells)? That way we might be able to help with sexing them. Males do mature faster than females do, so yes you probably should make 2 seperate tables (or split a bigger one) for them.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Gemma:

If you'll tell me what kind of tortoises you have, I'll move this thread out of the "debatable topics" area and into the area where it belongs. I doubt we want to debate this subject.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
be prepared to have two of everything.. sometimes it just doesnt work to house them together.. the new table needs to be big, with areas they can hide from each other.. dividers, obstacles.
if they still harrass each other.. seperate them..

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I'm betting that the biter is your male...that's basically Russian tortoise "foreplay". He will continue to lay some romance on her until she stresses out (not a good thing!)...

Might consider getting 1 or 2 more females...less stress per female that way, and the male will have no complaints, either.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It is difficult to house 2 russians in the same indoor enclosure, they just are not big enough most of the time. I would make 2 enclosure or one big outdoor one. I keep my female outdoors and separate from my males.

Status
Not open for further replies.