17 Giant Galapagos Tortoises + ME! = DREAM COME TRUE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
last weekend I went to the San Diego Zoo in southern California. it was very rainy and cold. So all the reptiles at the Zoo weren't on exhibit, however, i was able to go behind the scenes and check them out in their giant hot house!

ENJOY!!!

their watering hole outside
2rzw67m.jpg

one of many giant galaps!
ddyl52.jpg

2v3fnnk.jpg

28uqjbo.jpg

2a69jiw.jpg

66ydty.jpg

ic1lrb.jpg

20q13yv.jpg

2m5ndec.jpg

nyziv9.jpg

14ie87t.jpg

2zfpv6p.jpg

96fc4k.jpg

erliqu.jpg

2hg8idy.jpg

2v9q6n8.jpg

jk83yc.jpg

b4urn5.jpg

124kbcz.jpg

2up92rs.jpg

23wjh36.jpg

2rwkeop.jpg

2zr0z04.jpg

2ufq1yt.jpg

fn5vg3.jpg

2i7bpts.jpg

2u7ljsp.jpg

ajwm5u.jpg

9j2mwj.jpg

30hpt2w.jpg

2efhvut.jpg

33acqi0.jpg

the plastron of a male
2i6i4rd.jpg

1zbc65z.jpg

hwiz5v.jpg

34yciaa.jpg

2jd0s7.jpg

6hrthh.jpg

xn5b7r.jpg

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
They are stunning, just breathtaking.....but why so many? Especially in such a small area. The torts show signs of not being able to exercise (excess fat) and scrapes and cuts from being too close together (I'm sure even aldalab tempers flare occasionally.)

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
this is just their sleeping area and warming area when the weather is not good. 51 weeks of the year, the weather is great for tortoises in san diego, so the tortoises sleep outside and walk around a lot.

the excess fat is from one tort that has a tyroid problem. she is on a strict diet. and yes the males do rough each other up a bit.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Its a shame I can't be more proud of my local zoo. They do seem pretty overweight as Meg mentioned, and their living space seems WAY too tiny for so many of that size. Its very cool to see them, but its sad that they're so crammed into one tiny space. Did any of the keepers touch on that topic? I havn't been to the zoo in years..

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Do you have any pictures of their yard? I'd love to see it! I would have just died from joy at the sight of all those torts!

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
they have been begging for a new hot house for many years. finally after one of the humans got hurt, $100,000 has been funded to build a new one. construction is scheduled to start in the spring. that house was built in the 1920s.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Sweet! You should totally document it, if you can! I'd love to see the process and finished product!

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Meg90 said:
Do you have any pictures of their yard? I'd love to see it! I would have just died from joy at the sight of all those torts!

these are all the pictures i have on this computer. i might be able to find some more.

Meg90 said:
Sweet! You should totally document it, if you can! I'd love to see the process and finished product!

thats a great idea!! im sure many people will benefit from learning how a zoo builds a hot house for giant tortoises!

the zoo is about 2-3 hours from my house, but i will go often as long as i am not deployed in that time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No collection of tortoise photos would be complete without the token poop shot!! And doncha just love those great big legs? Since the "house" was only for bad weather, I didn't get the sense that it was too small for them. I was impressed that they had the clear roofing panels so the sun could shine in and that they seemed to have separate stalls in case they needed to separate anyone.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
That looks like heaven! ;) I would love to meet all those giant torts!
Several of the pictures made me smile, looking at their facial expressions. Some of them have the cutest looks on their face!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
That thyroid problem is happening with a lot of CB Galaps right now and the zoos don't know why. The WC adults seem to be just fine.

Great pictures Cory. :)

Danny

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I know Brownsville zoo has this problem. Collette Adams from the Brownsville zoo did a talk at the Daytona expo on the Galaps at the zoo. She mentioned this problem and said other zoos were having this problem. She didn't mention which zoos though.

Danny

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Nice pics, I noticed the one overweight aldab also. I think for being in such close quarters, * even temporary), they all looked like they got along pretty well.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
great photos, cory! im jealous!

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
egyptiandan said:
I know Brownsville zoo has this problem. Collette Adams from the Brownsville zoo did a talk at the Daytona expo on the Galaps at the zoo. She mentioned this problem and said other zoos were having this problem. She didn't mention which zoos though.

Danny

Phoenix Zoo had that problem with the CB juveniles and also some private keepers I know.

Great pics Cory!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Wow now that's a lot of tortoise in one place. Those are some great pictures. They're are huge I didn't realize that. Makes "Bob" look small. :D Who's the girl with the pretty hair?

Status
Not open for further replies.