15 Years isn't Long Enough

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have enjoyed the company of this little guy for almost 15 years. He turns 15 tomorrow. But he is not going to be with me much longer. He's been sick for some time now and I understand that he won't be here much longer. His dementia is getting worse and right now the biggest problem is getting him to eat. I've had a routine that's worked so far and he eats enough to get him by.KIMG3197.JPGI did a thread about him a few years ago I believe it was named An exception to the rule. He was great at finding hatchling box turtles that had gotten out of my yard. I used to give him a golf cart ride every day but a couple years ago he didn't enjoy them so stopped doing that. Surprisingly at his small size and illness he is still the Alfa. He is going to be greatly missed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, 15 years isn't long enough. Unfortunately no years is long enough.
Enjoy every second, but don't let him suffer, as I'm sure you won't. Also be with him thru his last breath.
So sorry the end is near. It's never easy😔

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Man that sucks. Sorry Len. I've been through this a lot in my business and it helps me deal with it better if I focus on and remember all the good times. It never gets easier.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I hate it that they don't live longer than us. . . but in way it's better because after we're gone no one's gonna' kiss their butts like we do. So sad you're gonna have to say good bye.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Im so sorry. One of the things that gets me through these times is the notion that while we are so sad when they are gone, and they are a part of our lives, we are their WHOLE lives. They have only known happiness with us. And they don't have the grieving process we do when they are gone.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Unfortunately it's something I'm very familiar with.
Dogs can become such valuable companions. They give nothing but love.
Every time I lose one, I always say I'm not doing that again.....
But I need one in my life. Only us pet people would understand.
I'm glad for the 15 years y'all have had. And what I'm sure are countless and priceless memories.
Cherish the last of your time together.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Unfortunately it's something I'm very familiar with.
Dogs can become such valuable companions. They give nothing but love.
Every time I lose one, I always say I'm not doing that again.....
But I need one in my life. Only us pet people would understand.
I'm glad for the 15 years y'all have had. And what I'm sure are countless and priceless memories.
Cherish the last of your time together.
How true, When we got Rocket and Seven I figured they would be my last dogs because they would outlive me. It's not just the pups there is a special kitty that has been a special part of my life. This is Kasey KIMG3199~2.JPGThis picture was taken on December 17 2008. She has gotten old too. She has her own table here in the kitchen but she can no longer jump from the floor to the table top. That was an easy fix by pulling a chair out. Now she jumps up onto the chair and then to the table top. She acts more like a dog than a cat.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Very pretty and maybe a little Russian Blue blood in her. Is she able to see out of her right eye?
Yes, it's been that way her whole life. So far no signs of Los of sight.
Our pup Dotty is starting to get cloudy eyes. She's 11 this year. 6894.jpeg

Len B

10 Year Member!
Yes, it's been that way her whole life. So far no signs of Los of sight.
Our pup Dotty is starting to get cloudy eyes. She's 11 this year. View attachment 367875
I rescued an adult Boston terrier mix years back and in time he lost his sight. When he could see his favorite game was retrieving a thrown ball in the yard. After he lost sight we were limited to the kitchen. It was all by scent but he still loved doing it. Rockets eyes are hazed over but he can still see. He has selective now though.

Len B

10 Year Member!
I rescued an adult Boston terrier mix years back and in time he lost his sight. When he could see his favorite game was retrieving a thrown ball in the yard. After he lost sight we were limited to the kitchen. It was all by scent but he still loved doing it. Rockets eyes are hazed over but he can still see. He has selective hearing now through.