1 Russian Tort and 3 Box Turtles

BetZBear1

Location (City and/or State)
Slidell, Louisiana
Hey everyone! Great site and info, so I had to join.

I recently adopted a Russian Tortoise and small box turtle that were kept for some time together in a terrarium.
We quickly remedied the situation as best as we could. The turtle, Bobra (Bob), joined our other 2 box turtles, Roux and Nessie, outside in a 12'x5' enclosure.
We found Roux in our yard one day and Nessie joined a short while later when a friend found her.
Bob is the smallest and seems to have shell growth problems from lack of proper care-- not that it stops her ;)
Roux is the medium sized turtle and Nessie is the largest.

Leroy is our male Russian Tortoise. We've never had experience with a tortoise, but luckily we found this site.
Leroy's permanent home will be under construction over the winter months while we keep him in the terrarium he came in. We are trying to keep up with the suggestions to make him as comfy and happy as possible.IMG_8222.JPG IMG_8219.JPG IMG_8224.JPG IMG_8206.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I hope you'll accept my help with a few things…

Russians are notorious carriers of all sorts of diseases and parasites. You need a lengthy quarantine before allows any other animals to have contact with them, or contact with other chelonians that have had contact with them.

Sand is not a good substrate. It can cause intestinal impaction, and it can be a skin and eye irritant.

Fruit is not good for russian tortoises. They are broadleaf weed eaters. A meal of all fruit like that can make them very ill. It upsets all the flora and fauna in the gut.

Here is the right care info for you and another thread to help out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

BetZBear1

Slidell, Louisiana
Thanks Tom! I'm here to learn so definitely appreciate all help.

The sand is going to be replaced today. Soil and leaves will be used until I can get maybe some cypress mulch.

The fruit wasn't eaten and we've been offering Romaine lettuce, cacti, broccoli, carrot. The pic with the fruit is from the first day we got him.

Will research the quarantine situation for Bob. We did keep her quarantined for the first 4 days. Being in a habitat with a tortoise, she spent too much time soaking in their water dish. We feared she may have early signs of shell rot. According to directions we found, Leroy and Bob both got bathed with a toothbrush and ivory soap twice. Once they were cleaner we could better inspect the shells and Leroy seems fine while Bob appears to have deformities from improper care. Poor girl grew to fit the water bowl she spent so much time in and almost has a donut shaped shell with an indentation in the middle.

Thanks for your help!

AnimalLady

Hello and welcome!
So happy you came on here looking to better your tort babies :)

Stick around, we have so many helpful and knowledgeable members!