Adopted Russian Tort. not eating

BetZBear1

Location (City and/or State)
Slidell, Louisiana
We are new to the forum but excited to have found it! Will post introduction soon, but we are starting to become concerned with Leroy (Russian Tortoise) having not eaten that we are aware of in the 7 days that we have had him.
He came to us in a 1.5' by 2' glass terrarium which he shared with Bobra, a malnourished box turtle who is now being taken care of with our other box turtles. After extensively cleaning the tank and keeping Leroy in a kiddie pool with leaves and a rubbermaid container to hide in, we have relocated him to the tank inside with about 4" sand. The indoor temp stays between 68-78F. We haven't been using the heat lamp or vitamin D light. We kept him in for 2 nights and brought him outside in kiddie pool during the day til yesterday. Its been much cooler out and raining today. Inside, he has a water dish with Romaine lettuce, broccoli, and carrot.
He drank some water twice while outside in sunlight before rain began.
He did have poop the first and 3rd day, but no more.
Any suggestions?

P.S. We are working on a larger outdoor enclosure for him to move into after the winter. We live in southeast Louisiana, so it shouldn't be too long.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You say you HAVEN'T been using a light or heat? Then that's your problem. If a tortoise can't get his core temp up to at LEAST 85F degrees, he won't eat...and being cold blooded, his temperature is appx. the same temperature as the environment he's living in. So if he's room temperature, say, 70-75F that's just way too cool for him to eat. When outside, they will sit in the sun until their core is warm enough, but in the house, without a light, there's isn't any place to get that core temp up.

(also, just so you know, sand is an irritant [skin and eyes] and if he does happen to ever eat and sand is stuck on the food, it causes impaction)

BetZBear1

Slidell, Louisiana
Haven't used light or heat because he was spending daylight hours outside, usually in direct sunlight. I doubt he was able to get up to 85F though.
With so much conflicting info given to us, we finally asked here. This seems to be the most reliable site we have found.

Sand seemed the obvious choice for a desert tort. Personally, i hate it and am happy to replace it. What do you suggest for the inside?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might be only 50F outside, but a tortoise sitting in the sun and out of the wind can get his inner core up to where it needs to be.

I use fine grade orchid bark for indoor habitats. If that's not available, I like cypress mulch or even dirt from the garden, as long as it hasn't been sprayed with pesticides, herbicides or fertilizers.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the little guy needs to be warmer. Do you have a temperature gun?

BetZBear1

Slidell, Louisiana
Also, isn't sand part of the RT's natural habitat?
We kept him in dry leaves a few days til we got sand. He seems happier in the sand.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Russians live in the mountains of Afghanistan

BetZBear1

Slidell, Louisiana
Russians live in the mountains of Afghanistan
Ok. Thanks. We want to keep his habitats as close to his natural habitat as we can. He loved to hide in the leaves when he had them. Would soil, leaves, mulch be ok? Does the type of mulch matter? Obviously we won't get any stained or treated mulch.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
soil and mulch would be a good choice

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
He liked the leaves because he could hide. Offer him tort-safe plants, large rocks and a humid hide for a feeling of safety.

axeman25

Central Michigan
One thing to add to all the great advice here. He may not eat for several days or weeks even if you get the temps right. They need time to settle in a bit to their new home and it sounds like there have been several changes in this guys housing the last few days. Just work on getting your substrate and temps right (don't forget a water saucer) and he'll eventually settle in and start eating. I would also offer more leafy greens to him, there are some great care sheets on here that you should read asap. Good luck and keep us updated.

BetZBear1

Slidell, Louisiana
Leroy has been set up with lamps (heat and Vit D) for 2 days now.
Also about 24 hrs ago, we happily removed the sand and replaced it with soil from the yard and he has his leaves back.
He had enough soil and leaves to bury himself last night so I'm happy about that.
Need to get a thermometer but he has an 8" terra cotta dish with water and the light only on one side. He has a pot to hide in across from the light if he wants to hide.
Still offering him Romaine, Broccoli, Planted a piece of ric rac cactus and aloe, and a dandelion plant. There's also an airplane plant in the corner. No signs of eating yet, but he did sip some water yesterday.
I may block the glass sides next so the glass doesn't confuse him. :)
Hopefully he will settle in and down soon so he doesn't stress us any more!
Thanks for the replies
DSCN3882.JPG DSCN3883.JPG

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
We are new to the forum but excited to have found it! Will post introduction soon, but we are starting to become concerned with Leroy (Russian Tortoise) having not eaten that we are aware of in the 7 days that we have had him.
He came to us in a 1.5' by 2' glass terrarium which he shared with Bobra, a malnourished box turtle who is now being taken care of with our other box turtles. After extensively cleaning the tank and keeping Leroy in a kiddie pool with leaves and a rubbermaid container to hide in, we have relocated him to the tank inside with about 4" sand. The indoor temp stays between 68-78F. We haven't been using the heat lamp or vitamin D light. We kept him in for 2 nights and brought him outside in kiddie pool during the day til yesterday. Its been much cooler out and raining today. Inside, he has a water dish with Romaine lettuce, broccoli, and carrot.
He drank some water twice while outside in sunlight before rain began.
He did have poop the first and 3rd day, but no more.
Any suggestions?

P.S. We are working on a larger outdoor enclosure for him to move into after the winter. We live in southeast Louisiana, so it shouldn't be too long.
I'm in the same situation you are. I adopted a 2+ yr old Russian 9 days ago and other than the 2nd day when he did pick at some opuntia in his dish but none of the greens I gave him, and he hasn't eaten anything since that 2nd day. Ive offered a variety everyday something different but he has no interest. Very active other than that. I have everything in his enclosure as it should be, mvb, che, heated to 82 during the day and take him out in the yard for the natural sunlight. so maybe its just an adjustment thing. Have soaked daily, he loves that. Its worrisome but I keep telling myself have patience and eventually he'll come around.

BetZBear1

Slidell, Louisiana
Sandy, I definitely sympathize! I keep reminding myself that he won't starve himself forever. No matter how stubborn.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
I think I'm gonna try something I read on a past post here about putting some baby food, like carrots, into his soaking water. Apparently the nutrients are absorbed. Worth a try...

axeman25

Central Michigan
I think I'm gonna try something I read on a past post here about putting some baby food, like carrots, into his soaking water. Apparently the nutrients are absorbed. Worth a try...

That does work, I want to say it's something high in vitamin A (but I am probably wrong about that). I think it was squash that I used because the content was higher than carrot, but it's been a while since I've had to do that. I freaked out the same way when one of the three I got wouldn't eat at all for almost two weeks. But the people on here got me calmed down and told me I was doing everything right (well, I eventually got things right) and sure enough, she started eating.

But the biggest thing is making sure that the temps are right.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
That does work, I want to say it's something high in vitamin A (but I am probably wrong about that). I think it was squash that I used because the content was higher than carrot, but it's been a while since I've had to do that. I freaked out the same way when one of the three I got wouldn't eat at all for almost two weeks. But the people on here got me calmed down and told me I was doing everything right (well, I eventually got things right) and sure enough, she started eating.

But the biggest thing is making sure that the temps are right.
My temps are good, I'll pick up some carrots and squash and try different one each day. So is it about a spoon and mix into his soaking water? Or how much?