1 or 2??

margykid

Hi.
I know that tortoises are very solitary creatures but
should I get two on Sunday? The place I am going has three little beauties.
They are all siblings and that would decrease the chance a lot of them
Fighting as they would be together from hatchling age to old age.
I probably don't have the space to separate them but I would
Love nothing better than having double the joy.
What do you suggest?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If you don't have the space to make two habitats, then only get one tortoise. Chances are good they won't get along when they reach sexual maturity, brothers or not.

I took in two male desert tortoises a couple years ago. They had been together since hatching out of their respective eggs. At the time they were turned in, they were 6 years old and the slightly larger one was trying to kill the other one. That's the reason they were turned in. The fighting. It was the most aggressive and bloody tortoise fighting I had ever witnessed.

margykid

If you don't have the space to make two habitats, then only get one tortoise. Chances are good they won't get along when they reach sexual maturity, brothers or not.

I took in two male desert tortoises a couple years ago. They had been together since hatching out of their respective eggs. At the time they were turned in, they were 6 years old and the slightly larger one was trying to kill the other one. That's the reason they were turned in. The fighting. It was the most aggressive and bloody tortoise fighting I had ever witnessed.
Owwwww. Painful. That's not a nice story. Ok.
I thought that was the sensible answer but we all know how addictive they are so
I was just looking for a tiny sliver of hope. But obviously not.;)

phebe121

I have to but i belive there male and female and they cant go anywhere. Without the other they will look for each other i love having two u just have to be prepared if u have to split them you never knowthe could be like mine are and mine r from diffrent cluches nust look at the pros and cons and ic u can take care of two then why not

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have to but i belive there male and female and they cant go anywhere. Without the other they will look for each other i love having two u just have to be prepared if u have to split them you never knowthe could be like mine are and mine r from diffrent cluches nust look at the pros and cons and ic u can take care of two then why not
When yours reaches sexual maturity, you will have to sprayed yours too, or the male will hunt the female to illness or death. Just be prepared. A pair is good for a short while, then they seem to almost always go bad, I have learned from reading so many don'ts about pairs.

phebe121

Well when that time comes ill keep them apart i was only soppost to get one and the person shipped two i love them both

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I would just get one :) If you eventually get enough space for another one, it could be a possibility to have JUST one more (that's what I keep telling myself :D ) they'll be all cute and 'cuddly' until they get older...they'll probably bully each other all their lives until it gets to the point where you NEED to separate them :(