Zoomed VS T-Rex UVB Bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
I have both, and I vote Trex. I have a 100W Powersun on my tegu, and I have to use an extra 100W house bulb to keep her temps up. I think the Trex produce more heat.

S

stells

Zoomed used to have a problem with bulbs blowing before their time was up... T-rex i never had a problem with... but they have been discontinued here in the UK....

Out of all i prefer the Megaray... i know it wasn't listed but its definately one to consider...

Nobody

5 Year Member
Philippines
stells said:
Zoomed used to have a problem with bulbs blowing before their time was up... T-rex i never had a problem with... but they have been discontinued here in the UK....

Out of all i prefer the Megaray... i know it wasn't listed but its definately one to consider...

Actually,I was just reading about it a couple of hours ago and I am now highly considering getting it.If I only just needed the UVB and not do much of the heat,what Mega-Ray Model would you suggest I get,the 60 Watts or 60 Low Watts?Do they give the same amount of UVB?
Thanks.

S

stells

Megaray here do the metal halide bulb... i should imagine they do those there too... now i haven't tried this bulb but they don't give out as much heat as the mercury vapour bulbs....

But...
with the metal halides you do need another lighting system due to there strength... they give out the light of the mid day sun... so you would need lower light for the mornings and evenings...

With the mercury vapours you could always set the bulb a little higher to get less heat... but as it is an all in one bulb for most species you wouldn't need to use a seperate heat source... the one bulb would be enough...

I hope that makes sense...

Sorry can't help with places to buy in the US... but would have thought they would be quite easy to get over there...

Starry night

5 Year Member
I just order mega rays from their web site. Little costly on shipping but all I get is there heat lamp.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I can comment on MVBs. I don't have experience with halides. Supposedly the T-Rex and MegaRay are the same bulb blueprint. My first bulb (MegaRay) burnt out after 10 months (supposed to have a 12 month useful life) so I am trying a T-Rex this time. The T-Rex was about $5-10 less too. 100 Watt is suitable for most enclosures unless it's for an adult Sulcata or something. Both the T-Rex and Mega Ray have far superior output than the Powersun. I look at Google Shopping to compare prices. See http://www.uvguide.co.uk/mercuryvapourlamps.htm Make sure to use a wide and deep dome fixture with a ceramic socket as well as a lamp stand (the bulb face needs to be parallel to the substrate). You will need to adjust the bulb up and down as the room temperature changes. The infrared thermometers (temp gun) like the PE1 are awesome. Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.