Young Russians Tail Length?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GilbertP24

5 Year Member
I work at a local science museum in my hometown and we get several animals (mostly reptiles) donated to us throughout the year. We just received a new Russian tortoise. The previous owners claim that it is a girl. However, the tail is very, very long. I have never seen a young Russian's tail before but I know that the males have much longer tails that curl up. However, the tail does not usually curl up. The tortoise just lets it hang down. The owners also claim that it is a young tortoise, about 2 or 3 years old.
We already have a male and a female tortoise and I don't want to house the new tortoise with them if it is indeed a male. I just need to know if the tails are usually very long when they are younger? Or what? Let me know! I will try to get pictures when I go in tomorrow but if anyone can answer this question before tomorrow, that would be wonderful.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First off, the tail is just one of the signs. A pic would help a lot. Second, you should quarantine the new tort for three to six months before putting in with your other Russians to be sure it is healthy and free of anything before exposing her/him to the others.

GilbertP24

5 Year Member
What all would be good to get pics of? And I did put him in a separate enclosure and told my boss that he needs to be quarantined when I got there today.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
A direct picture of the plastron would help. Also a male and a single female being housed together usually is trouble.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A good clear picture of the plastron (undershell) of each including the tail would be the best way of telling exactly what you have... along with the size (straight line length) of each tort's shell.

With regard to keeping them together. You are correct in that the newbie neds to be quarantined for a good 6 months before introduction.

After that, they may or may not decide to get on as a group.

Groups of 3 or more Russians can get on in a large outdoor enclosure with plenty of sight barriers. However, in the wild they roam large distances, meeting up to mate and moving on... I.e. they are mostly solitary and in captivity this translates into fighting off all comers. Russians of both genders fight nasty; it can be mental bullying and/or it could be physical including biting which draws blood.

Pairs of Russians, regardless of gender, don't offer enough distraction to provide relief for a subordinate tort. As a result the bullied tort gets sick and may die if not separated quickly. Your existing torts may or may not accept a newcomer... and the introduction could well upset the current status quo, resulting in all of them needing to be separated. I hate to add further bad news, but they have an excellent sense of smell, so if they are kept near to each other they will be well aware of each other already which may provoke bad behaviour.

Fingers crossed that your little gang do decide to get on when they are finally introduced.

GilbertP24

5 Year Member
Here are some of the pictures I got today. ImageUploadedByTortForum1369346392.074890.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1369346407.784253.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1369346432.535159.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1369346449.186210.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1369346477.885627.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
If I guessed he's about five or more years of age has he started fanning?

Status
Not open for further replies.