Yellow foot's eyes are closed

Scott52019

I just got Speedy in the mail on tuesday. I just realized today that his habitat was not moist enough and that's why his eyes were closed. As you can tell from the pictures, I put New Zealand spaghnum moss on the cool side of the tank and watered the crap out of it. Will he be okay? How long will it take for him to open them again?

Kp9GtmI.jpg zql4PIi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
What bulbs are you using? Apologies If you've already read this on the forum, but avoid coil or long thin loop type of cfl as these can damage torts eyes. Have they been closed since he arrived and if so do you know what his previous owner/breeder used with him?
Also a shallow terracotta plant saucer sunk level with the substrate and big enough for him to self soak in will be easier and safer for him to use that the one you have. Have a look at the Enclosures thread to see how you can modify yours to make it more tort friendly with plants and positions of lamps etc. - hanging them makes it easier to to adjust temps by raising or lowering them and will be safer than using the clamps which have been known to fail and cause injury or even house fires. Do a search on torts eyes and see if anything has been recommended to others with the same problem. I hope he recovers soon.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Congrats on your new tortoise! You don't want to water it like crazy. What I mean is not wet, but you want it damp. Wet allows the chance f your tortoise getting cold with your open top enclosure. Has he had his eyes closed the whole time?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Personally, I don't like the hot side/cool side idea with RF or YF tortoises (or any species of baby tortoise). I like to keep the RF and YF babies in a habitat that is from 80-85F all over the habitat. Also, you need to soak this baby in warm water daily for at least 15 minutes.

In your habitat the baby has no place to get out of that bright "sun." You need a bigger container so that you can have a few plants placed around in there to provide some shade and relief from the "sun."

Scott52019

Funny, as soon as he soaked, his eyes opened. What's the link to the enclosure thread? Tomorrow morning, I am going to get a better uvb light and screen top.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I am using a laptop and if you go to the page that lists all the forums, you will find Enclosures under Tortoise Topics.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Nope. I think it's because it's the app.

Go back to the timeline - touch the 'burger' icon (3 horizontal lines) - choose Browse - Choose Tortoise Topics - Choose Tortoise Enclosures
Yes must be the app - it works fine on my laptop.