Would you even bother contacting this Craigslist poster?

ZappCatt

Location (City and/or State)
SF Bay Area, California
This is a relatively local post to me. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pet/d/antioch-300-adult-male-russian-tortoise/7117693837.html

I am not desperate to get a Tortoise, but am open to the idea, and have seen/heard of a lot of people who are having to give them up due to the Covid Pendemic.

I stumbled on this post, and was going to write to say that if they absolutely did not find anyone who would take it before their move, that I would.

TL: DR The poster is asking $300 as a "rehoming fee" for a 6 year old Russian Tortoise due to an imminent move where they can not take him. In addition to the seeming high price for someone who has no other options, they mention they will sell the 18x18 enclosure! along with a bulb for $100.

How bad of a life/how unhealthy will a 6 year old Russian who has been kept in an 18x18 enclosure be? How good could his diet and other care been if that is what he kept him in.

haydog_99

Rocklin, CA
I'd pass and find a repratable breeder and get one that you know is healthy. The tort in the pic needs a good soak to start and I don't trust craigslist for anything.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have an actual CRAIGSLIST ad that I put up every now and then.
I take in truly unwanted Redfoot tortoises. Most of them arrive here in near death condition. Most I pay very little for.
Hopefully the poster made the price high to weed out bad new owners.
It's hard to know who you are dealing with without actually speaking to them.

ManicTurt

Fairfield, CA
I spoke to them just because my friend is looking for a russian tortoise, and I was wondering why the price was so high. They said that the expected it to be negotiated down. They had claimed to have gotten him from a reputable breeder and has never seen an adult CB for much less so I don't know how much they want to negotiate. They also claimed that they used to have a collection of 60+ reptiles and had sold 2 Egyptian tortoises a few months back. With the price and the size of enclosure I am between skeptical of the claims made and worried for the other reptiles if this tortoise was kept in an 18x18 for so long.

Last edited: