Difference between Greek & Russian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikkibop

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi, how can we tell the difference between a Greek tortoise and a Russian tortoise? We bought our female at the petstore and they said she was a Greek and we got another tortoise from a private party who said he is a Russian but they both look a lot alike. So we would like to find out for sure what they are. I'll post some pictures of both. Thanks!
This one is of the female Greek Tortoise:
IMGP0561.JPG
And this one is of the one we were told was a male Russian Tortoise:
IMGP0560.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
Sorry, but they are both definitely Russians. I believe another forum member bought what was supposed to be a Russian from a Petco and it was actually a Greek.

nikkibop

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks! It's good to know they are both the same kind. That's what we thought. We got ours at Petco too (the one that was supposed to be a Greek)
Oh well, we still like them just as good!
Deanna

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Nice to have the same kind at least hopefully you can house them together now :)
If you paid more for the greek I would talk with Petco and perhaps get the difference refunded or in store credit.

nikkibop

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
How much should Russian's cost? I think we paid around $100.
Thanks

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
When pet stores get in a new animal they get a label that says what they are. It may not be correct at all, they may know it to but they say they can't do anything about it they have to sell as the label says. (personally I think this is a way for them to take the blame off themselves for selling the wrong animals). Anyhow if you post pictures of there tail area we can confirm the sexes for you (depending on how big they are). Good luck with them they are very cute.

nikkibop

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
We already know the bigger one is a female (she just laid two eggs) and the smaller one is a male. That doesn't make any sense why pet stores would put the wrong labels on animals even when they know about it. I guess we need to be sure ahead of time what something looks like so we know what we are really buying!
Thanks,
Deanna

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Deanna, many people have purchased the wrong (?) tort this way. They expect that pet stores are experts but if you look at many stores the animal caretakers are young, have little or no experience and as we have found out through this forum, lots of Pet stores know little or nothing about the animals they are responsible for. This is unfortunate but true, especially for torts and turtles. I think it’s the "They all look alike" attitude. We as owners often try to educate them; some are thankful and learn others are more resistive.
Hopefully the two Russians you have now have not proved disappointing for you. I know it must have been a shock when "PoP" 2 eggs appeared. But if they are fertile, look what fun you will have raising new CB Russians and watching them grow.

nikkibop

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
We are not disappointed in them at all. We really like them and are excited about watching the eggs hatch. We are hoping they are fertile. And it will be a lot of fun to have them hatch and have the little ones!
Deanna

Status
Not open for further replies.