Worried about my baby Greek tortoise - breathing issue

farber2028

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Flash has been doing very well, growing like a weed and what have you. about 3 weeks ago he started flipping himself over quite frequently, just trying to climb on stuff. He's been learning along the way. Yesterday however, I found Flash flipped on his side, not his back. He was struggling to keep himself up as I think when I found him he had only flipped recently. I picked up him and noticed that he has a click when he breathes. I figured he had just got the dirt and whatever in his lungs from the struggling. Gave him a long warm bath and then the day preceded as normal.

This morning I just picked him up. Every breath he takes he has a click/wheeze, and now he's got bubbles coming out of his nose. Other than those symptoms, he's perfectly normal. I offered food this morning just to see what he would do. Normal there too, just came right up and started eating. He doesn't seem lethargic at all. I check on him as much as I can just to make sure he hasn't flipped so today has been normal outside of the breathing issues.

Anyone have any suggestions for a remedy or what may be the cause of this? and how do I get him back to normal?

Thanks for all your help guys!

Edit - I forgot to mention that the one thing that has varied since our winter months here in Iowa is that when it's been above 60 degrees here I have been taking both my torts out for 5 minutes at a time just so they can see the seasons are changing and to feel the sun for the first time in a long time. With that said two days ago Flash figured out he can climb trees, well sort of :). but either way he wasn't outside for long and in fact the times he's been out there he comes back in and is still warm. I don't think it has much correlation to the issue but figured that info can't hurt because that's the only thing that's varied since they stopped going outside at the start of winter.

jaredherman

5 Year Member
Sounds like he/she might have uri. Im no expert but i would keep temps up above 85, and mabye soak him in the bathroom while the shower is running hot to allow him to breath the steam in.

Dorrie Siu

Wheezing and bubbles in the nose are signs of respiratory infection. I would suggest you take him in to be sure because if he has it, then he needs medical attention right away. I know still seems active but it can turn quickly and he can really get sick fast. In the meantime he needs to be kept warm.

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
I will get him into the vet soon. In the meantime I think I'm going to keep him in the incubator with damp paper towels to keep the humidity up. I haven't seen him blow anymore bubbles yet today but the clicking is still there a little bit. And he's still acting himself but it's better to be sure

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I went and read some of your prior posts...this little tort is now about 8 months? If the tort has been flipping then it is possible that the tort snorted up some of the substrate while trying to use the head and other parts to flip back over....if all is business as usual and the tort is active as usual, eating is normal and basking and exercise is the same...then perhaps you can check the nostril up close (with granny glasses or magnifying glass) and see if there is anything lodged in there.....I would just keep an eye on the tort....