Worms or just normal?

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
Attached is a picture showing what I sucked out from my RES tank. There are bits of normal poop (at least to me its normal) but if you can see (sorry for bad picture) there are thread like things in there. Are those worms or is that still normal? Because at the cloaca of my RES there are no remaining thread like things stuck there. Thanks!

Attachments

• 1419823286550.jpg
    1419823286550.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 46

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
I have not been feeding them any live foods. I'm not sure if the pet shop does, but their diets so far are pellets and veggies. But thanks anyway!

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
Here is another picture I managed to take. I hope its clearer and someone can help me out. Thank you!

Attachments

• 1419834740915.jpg
    1419834740915.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 35

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
In the second pic there is a long stringy item, but it might have been something they ate, like a fiber left over from greens?

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
Not sure if its from some greens because they've been refusing them

Randi

Canada
Are your turtles' new or have you owned them for a while? Are they acting normally? Do you have fish in your tanks? Live plants? What veggies do you feed?

Looks like veggie matter but it is hard to tell without seeing it up close. I'd see if maybe you could take the water with the 'suspected' worms to a vet and have it looked at. If they don't know, they can send it for a quick test. Find a vet that specializes in reptiles. They can probably do this without the turtles needing to be there, but it may not hurt to have them looked at if they are acting differently and you're concerned.

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
I have my turtles about 2 & 1/2 months only. They are normal. I have no fish or plants in the tank. I fed them romaine, kale and spring mix before but now they refuse them. So they have not ben having greens for awhile now

Randi

Canada
Where did you get the turtles from? Did you get them at the same time and from the same place? Or did you get them from separate sources and different times? What size are they and how old do you think they are? How big of a tank are they in?

When was the last time they consumed greens?

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
I got them at a pet shop but the way they keep turtles is in a huge tub and cram many of them in there with no light and a few wood blocks as platforms and water is maybe even less than 1" deep. So you can take your pick in there and I chose 2 first. When I got them 2 & 1/2 months ago they are 1.5" and now one of them is 2" the other remains at 1.5"

The tank is 11" x 16.5" and depth is 11.5" but I put around 6" water or less.

I try to attach picture. Sorry if not clear.

The last time they have veggies was kale and was maybe 1 month ago quite long time

I hope its not worms because I don't even know if there is reptile vet in my country so I cannot take it to see doctor and will have to treat myself. I hope they are fine thank you very much

Attachments

• 1420075019499.jpg
    1420075019499.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 12

Randi

Canada
What kind of light are you using? A basking light? Do they have a UVB source? Are you giving them any calcium supplements?

There may be a chance that they could have worms. It's unlikely to be vegetable matter. I thought it may have been fish waste or plant matter in their poop but there isn't any chance for that. I wouldn't panic though. Could be an organism living in the tank, etc. I'd look for an experienced vet who can test the suspected worms and/or treat your turtles for parasites just in case.

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
Yes it is uvb light. And I have not given them any supplements. There are no fish or anything else in the tank. I also change the water every week.

But now I think they are not having that issue anymore. Their poop is back to normal. I will continue to see how it goes. Thank you very much!

Randi

Canada
You're going to want to supplement with calcium. You can use calcium blocks in the tank. Snails are also a good source of calcium.

Good luck.

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
I have ordered cuttlebone (for birds) from the petshop and they are sending it to the shop near me so I can go get it. Still waiting for their call. Does cuttlebone work?

Randi

Canada
Yes it does. They will nibble as they want it.

I'd still provide a fluorescent fixture that produces more "sunlight" within the tank unless you are able to have them sunned naturally outside. You can use a T8 freshwater strip light or a T5 fixture. There have been issues with coil bulbs for UVB for turtles and tortoises. You can find threads here on that.