Wiping eyes

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I read somewhere that wiping at the eyes can mean that they are being burned? My tortoise has always done this occasionally since I got him, I'm a little worried that I am. I have 160 watt MVB for my 4' x 3' open topped enclosure. It's about 12" from his shell to the top of the bulb. Basking spot stays between 90-100 degrees. On my second story I have a florescent bulb that is 65 watts to heat the small 1' x 1 1/2' second story.

Question is am I burning his eyes? Nothing swollen and he always has them open.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
What kind of substrate are you using? That could also be the culprit. Sometimes it's just dirt in their eyes.

— Gus

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Cypress mulch and a small mix of eco earth, mostly cypress mulch. My second story has peat moss, but he's rarely up there.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I used to notice this with mine from time to time. However I don't use any uv lighting just one flood light bulb.

I used to use top soil mixed with peat moss until I noticed how messy their water got. I left that substrates but put about 3" of orchard bark over it and that has solved my rubbing eyes problem. Dirt used to get in and around their eyes. Too much for my liking.

By leaving the peat moss and top soil on the bottom I still get high humidity without all the mess.

— Gus

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Yes, peat moss is a mess which is why I put it in the smaller area of my enclosure, which he's only been up there once for a few minutes, otherwise it's mostly the cypress mulch where he burrows, etc. Maybe I'll try to do a layer of bark, as you said. Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't burning his eyes, after all.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I'm not saying it's not the lights it could possibly be that. Try moving things around to see what helps. It could be the lights or the substrate or even a combination of both.

— Gus