Willie update

Status
Not open for further replies.

mary t

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland, florida
ImageUploadedByTortForum1376752691.269978.jpg we have had Willie for just under three years now. He has tripled his size and become quite a stud! He now weighs close to 36 pounds not sure on inch size because well I lost my check in pad. Oops. Anyway he is happy and health and thanks to all the great folks here, I don't believe any more pyramiding has occurred. He loves his bigger enclosure hardly ever wanders out when the gate is open unless he spots something tasty! ImageUploadedByTortForum1376752981.110677.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376752996.699461.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nice-looking tortoise...and you've made him a very nice yard to live in.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Awesome tort and fantastic digs as well...what do you mean hardly wanders out when the gate is open?? is his yard in a yard? my gut just turned when I read that part....lol

EllieN

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
What a nice big sully! And his enclosure, too! It looks like he has everything he could possibly need. But I wouldn't count on his not wandering when the gate's left open. They walk for miles in the wild, so walking is just what they do, whether or not they're perfectly happy where they are. I'd try not to leave the gate open unless you're there to keep an eye on him.

He's a beauty!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Did you get as hatchling. He a good lookin tort.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
ascott said:
Awesome tort and fantastic digs as well...what do you mean hardly wanders out when the gate is open?? is his yard in a yard? my gut just turned when I read that part....lol

I'm sorry about your tummy turning. No he has a very large enclosure in a pretty good size yard. We have him sectioned off in part of the yard because we have a pool and I won't let him out of his area unless we are here. My fear is he gets in the pool. Also like many of you know he loves looking for dog poop so before we let him out we scoop poop. He does a good job of pointing out what we miss.

mike taylor said:
Did you get as hatchling. He a good lookin tort.

No he was not a hatchling when I got him he was almost 6 years old and 12 pounds.. Not quite th size of a small dinner plate. Had been kept in various size fish tanks on dry substrate and a very poor diet. I lived in Africa when I was young so I'm very finials with all sorts of " wide" torts. Years before I had told a friend that had him that if they ever needed to get rid of him to let me know.. Well she called and when I went to see him I almost died at the condition he was in.. Needless to stay I brought him home to my husbands dismay- thank god he is a great guy. Of course like me he instantly fell in love and Willie has become a stable member of our family. He has built the yard. The shed heated and all. I've spent many hours over the first few years reading and tweaking things to give him the best chance possible. I am proud of how his pyramiding has not gotten worse and how social he has become.. But I couldn't have done half of it without the wonderful people on this forum!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Mary! Then new growth looks fantastic! Unless you tell them no one would even know about his rough start. You have done an amazing job with him. The enclosure looks great too.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Willie looks terrific. What a great job you have done to get him back on track for a healthy life.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
With such a bad start he sure looks good . You did a great job .

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
Ah. Thanks you guys. You have no idea how much those kind words mean to me. Especially you Tom! I know I bugged you for hours and days on end to get help for him!

Status
Not open for further replies.