Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
@Will @Will @Will

Manouria egg.jpg

WILLIAM!!! - Notice the little pip on the egg labelled "M 6/11". Do you know what this means?????

Medea (60lbs Manouria emys phayrei) pooped out eggs in June on the ground and in the water. I was able to rescue 6 of them before they were broken. Three turned black and sunk in, but three chalked and looked pretty darned good. Across the top of the picture you can see two good eggs and a blackened egg, then the next egg by itself is pipping!!!!!!!! Now if it will only stay alive throughout the hatching process.

Yippee!!

Also, William, there is a clutch of leopard eggs that are checking, but haven't started to hatch yet, but they will soon. So don't plan your trip up here to bring the night house until you hear from me that the clutch has hatched.

Hooray!!! Manouria babies (or baby as the case may be)!!!!

(I had 19 eggs from the younger Manouria - Phae - incubating since 5/3 and they were all duds)

Last edited:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Your manouria seem determined to not lay eggs for you huh? Is the first 1

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It has been my experience with this species that if they have to endure some sort of change (making their habitat bigger, smaller, moving them to a new area, etc.) it takes a couple years for them to settle in and start nest building. Then once they're comfortable and start nesting, it's every other year. This was their year. Phae made a nice nest and deposited her eggs in the nest. When she was finished with the nesting area, Medea started building, however, it was a half-hearted attempt and she never used it. She just dribbled the eggs out one or two at a time over the next few days.

My first successful nesting/hatching resulted in 19 live babies. Ever since that, I've been able to hatch 4 or 5 every other year or so.