Will they produce fertile eggs??

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIttleGreys

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
A few weeks ago I adopted 2 turtles that a local guy needed to rehome. They had been kept together for years, so I left them together here since they seem content and healthy. The female is a big 3 toed, the male is a much smaller desert ornate. Last Sunday I walked in on them and am pretty darn sure they were "doing it" :p Saw it again a few days ago. Now I am not certain that he accomplished his feat, as I said she is much larger than him. Am I correct in assuming that they could indeed produce fertile eggs? They never did in the past according to former owner but in the condition they were kept in I am surprised they even survived.
I have no intention of hatching any eggs should they appear, I think a 3 toedXOrnate would be a very strange combo. I highly doubt their eggs could hatch on their own in their winter indoor habitat, but don't want to take the chance, and want to know how much I should be on the look out when they move outdoors in the spring. If they did mate last week, when should I be on the lookout for eggs?
At least I know he is eager, I do have a female Ornate that he could visit in the spring when he is out of quarantine!:p

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
It is possible to hatch Three-toed/Desert hybrids. If the male is fertile than any resulting eggs will be fertile. It does happen quite a bit in captivity, but is very rare in the wild. One of our members hatched some out this year (snowcone). She posted pictures in her introduction thread and this years hatchlings are all hybrids.
Than you mention you have an Ornate. If you breed the male Desert with the Ornate you will be getting crosses. Not that this doesn't happen in the wild. I have a trio of crosses that reproduced for the first time this year. I would say not to let them cross if at all possible.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.