Why don't we see many russian tortoise hatchlings?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Wow! That's awesome! I love your enclosure.

They all go into a large outdoor enclosure from mid March- Sept. until temps drop below 75.

Do you mean you bring them inside? Your babies are adorable. Is she doing okay?

TortoiseRN

5 Year Member
Yeah I bring the females into a 4x8 ft enclosure and the male into a 2x3 ft. I keep them inside for about a month decreasing food intake giving warm soaks about every other day. Their last week before going into the fridge I turn off the heat sources and give them daily soaks to try and clean out their digestive tracks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah I bring the females into a 4x8 ft enclosure and the male into a 2x3 ft. I keep them inside for about a month decreasing food intake giving warm soaks about every other day. Their last week before going into the fridge I turn off the heat sources and give them daily soaks to try and clean out their digestive tracks.

This is exactly what I do too. The short time indoors really allows me to monitor them and make sure all is perfect before hibernation. The every other day soaks insure they are hydrated and empty for hibernation too.

Thank you for all this info. Your success is impressive!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
my russian just layer 2 more eggs! this time I'm just going to leave them in the ground and see what happens!

Awesome. Protect them from rain during your wet winters up there.

I've had great results leaving eggs in the ground here. Have not tried it with russians yet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
she laid them in the indoor enclosure. should i still keep them in the ground? the enclosure is 4ft by8ft.

Oh sorry. I thought it was outside. No point in leaving them buried indoors. You won't get the magic of the great outdoors or the seasonal temperature swings inside. Might as well incubate them. Indoors they are pretty likely to dig them up to lay some more or just dig into the substrate.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Oh sorry. I thought it was outside. No point in leaving them buried indoors. You won't get the magic of the great outdoors or the seasonal temperature swings inside. Might as well incubate them. Indoors they are pretty likely to dig them up to lay some more or just dig into the substrate.
okay:(. but what if i put a fence around the eggs?