Why Aren't Tort Owners More Concerned About Predators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming
My torts are in my house at night when most predators are active; it's too cold outside here to leave them out at night so in they come. There is a bald eagle that lives in a tree just up the street and I keep my eyes open for him, as well as roving dogs and whatever else might wander into town. My tortoise enclosure is a tangle of old bushes and thick chicory/clover/petunia/violet/pansy/strawberry so much that it's sometimes difficult to find all the kiddos in there. And I never feed outdoors, they've got plenty to eat.
I do worry about predators, I just don't think building a bear/wolverine/whatever tight cover for their enclosures is the answer for me:)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I think that most owners on here just don't go into detail into all the step they take to insure that their tortoises are safe from predators. I am sure if you ask anyone on here about the precations they take to keep there tortoises and turtles safe, you would be suprised.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Madkins007 said:
You also need to remember- these are tortoises, not some easy, tasty, soft-bodied animal. Few predators will bother if there are other, tastier options. Having said that, there are definitely some things to consider in almost ALL situations:

1. Your tortoise NEEDS good, secure shelter. Not just a box, either. Burrows, debris piles, and other options they can dig into and wedge into tightly helps a lot. Lots of natural cover helps a lot as well!

2. The smaller the tortoise, the bigger the risk. A 3" yearling is at much greater risk from a wider variety of predators than a 10"er is. Smaller tortoises need more security, period.

3. Some things attract predators- especially food, blood, and carrion smells. Keep the habitat clean. Even things like mice and rats and some insects in the habitat can cause injury to a tortoise.

Agreed. To add, animals like rats can often be much more dangerous to the health/life of a medium or large tortoise than more typically thought of predatory animals because they tend to gnaw more than commit to an all-or-nothing easy/simple attack.

My 6"+ animals roam the entire yard during acceptable seasons save for if a tortoise is shaped such that it might easily fit through a fencing gap. My probable male Burmese Black large juvenile, for instance, does not have the carapace height to roam freely safely although his overall length and size are more than adequate. Meanwhile, my smallest Giant Yellowfoot female is much shorter than he is but she can roam because her dimensions prevent her from being a significant escape risk.

The yard has a mild slope from front to back, so I allow the burrowing individuals to construct their burrows on the high to mid-level areas so that flooding doesn't become a serious issue. Most of them, along with my subadult/adult female Burmese Black and my Giant Yellowfoots, prefer to retire under my deck when it gets dark (or too hot), though.

My <6" animals are in a caged in outdoor enclosure to prevent bird/other attacks. I found a 4'x4'x2' animal playpen sort of thing online for something like $30 and placed it in a portion of an old, dilapidated wooden sandbox, sowed various seeds and planted other flora accordingly after laying down minerals, and let it grow substantially before adding the small tortoises to it. It is partially shaded by trees, too, so they have access to both shade and sunlight for most of the day.

My more delicate babies are in my basement in a large planted plastic tub with two ceramic heat emitters, a fogger, and a UVB lamp.

To some, this setup is larger than necessary. To others, in their minds, it's insane cruelty and no less than a continent would seem to appease. In both cases, it's only the owner's judgment call that matters.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
dalano73 said:
I think that most owners on here just don't go into detail into all the step they take to insure that their tortoises are safe from predators. I am sure if you ask anyone on here about the precations they take to keep there tortoises and turtles safe, you would be suprised.

Agreed, We know the danger's associated with our geographical locations and we address them accordingly. I don't think anyone here takes the safety or well being of their tort's lightly. If you need specific's regarding safeproofing or protecting against a particular predator, just ask and I am sure there is someone who has the answer. Best of luck.

grogansilver

5 Year Member
there's a trick to protecting your enclosures from predators even if you cant close them up at night! Here it is, when my two dogs go to the bathroom I pick it up with the plastic bag and actually throw it into the surrounding areas around my enclosure into the woods! It works no cats, raccoons,bunnies foxes, bears etc Dare to enter that area for feel they think a dog might be in that area! Out side animals smell the dog poor and decide not to tempt faith! Its called barrier protecting and it works!!!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The predators won't come in to my place either. To many dogs and other weird animals and their associated smells, noises and activities.

I also bring all the babies in at night and all of them are supervised whenever they are out. I DO use covered enclosures for sunning hatchlings, but once they are 3-4", I worry a lot less about something swooping in and flying off with them.

Everyone's area is different. I have had outdoor, uncovered torts in my current location for 15 years with out a single incident.

grogansilver

5 Year Member
Yup! Well here is the master protector pepe! He's a jack Russell his breed takes care of business for those animals who attempt to Dare faith and come in to his area to mess with his tortoises! Belive me on that!

wildak

5 Year Member
I live 100 feet from a salmon stream with lots of bears and eagles to name a few and I sit and watch mine like an eagle when they're outside. I'm stuck between building a large steel structure based on the movie " Mad Max Beyond The Thunderdome " which will keep the big preditors out but not ermin, mink or martin ( which can be pretty nasty ). Or building a plastic panel greenhouse covered with heavy chainlink.
So yes I am worried since a brown bear or wolverine could make short work out of any turtle or tortoise out there.

Bryan

River14

5 Year Member
Wildak dont worry the ammount of fat on your tortoise isntit going to even invite a sniff. I have a giant Komodo sized monitore and he comes around a sniffing. If your little tortoises are BBs then tuck em up in dry hay every night in a container and let them sleep. Morning then feed them and let them roam. Monotor is fast asleep for the dy .....believe me they know.

lemondog

5 Year Member
indio ca.
I have a 50# sulcata who has dug about a 10 ft. long burrow and I dare any cat to try anything, he is very protective of his home, I think I would be burying a cat if it tryed to get him.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Baoh said:
Madkins007 said:
You also need to remember- these are tortoises, not some easy, tasty, soft-bodied animal. Few predators will bother if there are other, tastier options. Having said that, there are definitely some things to consider in almost ALL situations:

1. Your tortoise NEEDS good, secure shelter. Not just a box, either. Burrows, debris piles, and other options they can dig into and wedge into tightly helps a lot. Lots of natural cover helps a lot as well!

2. The smaller the tortoise, the bigger the risk. A 3" yearling is at much greater risk from a wider variety of predators than a 10"er is. Smaller tortoises need more security, period.

3. Some things attract predators- especially food, blood, and carrion smells. Keep the habitat clean. Even things like mice and rats and some insects in the habitat can cause injury to a tortoise.

Agreed. To add, animals like rats can often be much more dangerous to the health/life of a medium or large tortoise than more typically thought of predatory animals because they tend to gnaw more than commit to an all-or-nothing easy/simple attack.

My 6"+ animals roam the entire yard during acceptable seasons save for if a tortoise is shaped such that it might easily fit through a fencing gap. My probable male Burmese Black large juvenile, for instance, does not have the carapace height to roam freely safely although his overall length and size are more than adequate. Meanwhile, my smallest Giant Yellowfoot female is much shorter than he is but she can roam because her dimensions prevent her from being a significant escape risk.

The yard has a mild slope from front to back, so I allow the burrowing individuals to construct their burrows on the high to mid-level areas so that flooding doesn't become a serious issue. Most of them, along with my subadult/adult female Burmese Black and my Giant Yellowfoots, prefer to retire under my deck when it gets dark (or too hot), though.

My <6" animals are in a caged in outdoor enclosure to prevent bird/other attacks. I found a 4'x4'x2' animal playpen sort of thing online for something like $30 and placed it in a portion of an old, dilapidated wooden sandbox, sowed various seeds and planted other flora accordingly after laying down minerals, and let it grow substantially before adding the small tortoises to it. It is partially shaded by trees, too, so they have access to both shade and sunlight for most of the day.

My more delicate babies are in my basement in a large planted plastic tub with two ceramic heat emitters, a fogger, and a UVB lamp.

To some, this setup is larger than necessary. To others, in their minds, it's insane cruelty and no less than a continent would seem to appease. In both cases, it's only the owner's judgment call that matters.

Very helpful overview.

Brooke

5 Year Member
jeffbens0n said:
I have live in a rural area that does have raccoon's and foxes and have an open topped enclosure. I have electric fence wire around the top of the pen. The idea is that anything wants to come in would touch this first and be scared away. Obviously they could just jump straight over, but I think most wild animals are curious in nature and would investigate something new before just jumping in.

overallpen.jpg

What about flying predators like ravens? I don't think an electric wire would stop them. Although I just thought of something as I was typing this. There is a hummingbird webcam that I watch located in Irvine CA, her name is Phoebe. She has new babies nonstop it seems and crows were bothering her. The owner of the house crisscrossed wiring above her nest(s) to stop them. :)

BlackMountain412 said:
Brooke said:
I am new, but have read many of the threads and I am very surprised that many tort owners do not seem to be concerned about predators. All of the literature that I have read indicates that predators are a serious threat to tortoises.

I do not understand building outdoor enclosures and then leaving them open at the top. There is so much to learn when becoming a "parent" of a tortoise, how do people miss this?

I learned my lesson two weeks ago! 1 tortoise killed and two still missing! I recovered two. They must of smelled the mazuri and came for that and discovered my tortoises as well.
I am very sorry about your tortoises. I hope other tortoise keepers will take note and increase the security for their little guys and girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.