White "growth" on shell

Brandon Huf

Today I noticed a small white "growth" on my tortoise's shell.. I haven't noticed it before today. She seems irritated when I touch it. Anybody know what this might be?

IMG_3358.JPG

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Is it indented? Do you have a dog? It looks like a puncture with something sticking out of it possibly. Can you get a close clear image?

Brandon Huf

Is it indented? Do you have a dog? It looks like a puncture with something sticking out of it possibly. Can you get a close clear image?
Its not indented its a white growth coming out, and no shes by herself

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Yeah, but I am asking is the white protruding from a hole in the shell or is it something on the shell? Also is the growth hard or soft?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I have no clue then, I think people are going to want to see closer photos though.

My line of thought was based off my personal experience having a bunch of tissue sticking out of a puncture wound on my hand. I can't help much, sorry.

Reptar02

Might be shell rot.. look at some pictures of shell rot online and see if there's any resemblance... if not then I don't know what it might be:oops:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just grab it with the tweezers and pick it out of there. If it leaves a hole or raw spot, then it's some sort of injury and needs to be treated with antiseptic and salve.