Where to put enclosure?

Mr. RussianTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
I think it’s time to start building my outdoor enclosure for my Russian tortoise! After months of planning and trying to learn how to use sketchup free, I’m ready to buy the materials and start building! I have limited options for finding where to put the enclosure however. I’ll try to think of more places for my tortoise enclosure later on. I tried to find places with lots of shade but also a good amount of sunlight. Here are the options: IMG_7220.jpeg
And here is the second oneIMG_7221.jpeg
And here is Timothy outside today!
IMG_7222.jpeg

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Think about the sun AND seasonality. For example, I really only had one spot in my yard it could go, and its sunny in summer and in winter its completely blocked by trees. While that sounds like it could be good, its actually TOO HOT in summer and too cold in winter. I wish it it were a little less of both. You want where there is sun, but also shade ideally, in the summer, and I presume you will brumate or bring inside in the winter.

Also there is a thread on here about "deep shade" so take that seriously and make sure there is a deeply shaded section of the enclosure for the hottest/sunniest part of the day.

Also you get a lot of rain in NJ (I'm originally from Essex county) so keep in mind that element as well so he doesn't get flooded out

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
Placing it up against the cement wall of the house means that one wall is already built. It'll save on construction costs, too.
Oh I never thought of that! That’ll probably save me at least 30 dollars!
Think about the sun AND seasonality. For example, I really only had one spot in my yard it could go, and its sunny in summer and in winter its completely blocked by trees. While that sounds like it could be good, its actually TOO HOT in summer and too cold in winter. I wish it it were a little less of both. You want where there is sun, but also shade ideally, in the summer, and I presume you will brumate or bring inside in the winter.

Also there is a thread on here about "deep shade" so take that seriously and make sure there is a deeply shaded section of the enclosure for the hottest/sunniest part of the day.

Also you get a lot of rain in NJ (I'm originally from Essex county) so keep in mind that element as well so he doesn't get flooded out
Yes there is. A lot of rain. I’m thinking of putting in a drain.

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
I know GST in south jersey uses these types of cold frames, but I have no experience with them myself: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MSYS9FZ/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

But yeah, i would build a slope (if you do up against the house, away from the house) and make sure it can drain out of the enclosure fast
I've heard of cold frames a lot in the forum, but what do they do exactly? Are they like nightboxes?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I've heard of cold frames a lot in the forum, but what do they do exactly? Are they like nightboxes?
They are basically greenhouses. You could turn them into a night box if you have a way to secure the door and make sure predators can't get in (I don't know enough about them to know if they can keep a racoon, for example, out). but they would not be a 'heated' night box like the kind Tom's posts talk about.

I bring my Russian inside at night and in the rain, but it rains less here than it does there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You want an area with heavy shade in summer and full sun for early spring and late fall. Alternatively, use an area with full sun and make your own shade. This is a good way to go because you can easily adjust how much shade there is depending on the season and weather. Just make sure there is enough deep shade on those hot summer days.

For russians, I prefer to have an underground hide for them in summer. This will hep with the shade issue too, because they can retreat to a cooler area if it gets too hot top side.

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
You want an area with heavy shade in summer and full sun for early spring and late fall. Alternatively, use an area with full sun and make your own shade. This is a good way to go because you can easily adjust how much shade there is depending on the season and weather. Just make sure there is enough deep shade on those hot summer days.

For russians, I prefer to have an underground hide for them in summer. This will hep with the shade issue too, because they can retreat to a cooler area if it gets too hot top side.
do I put in plants for my own shade? Like one of those big ones? I do have a section that always has sun but has no shade.