where can I get live snails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pealow

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
In my garden.....:eek:), they eat my plants!

Paula

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
LoL @ in my garden. I wish we had garden snails down here!

I want to feed them to the tegu and some aquatics turtles. I think snails are like super food for some reason. Either someone told me or I read a few years ago that feeding turtles live snails with shells is one of the best foods to feed turtles.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
I get aquatic snails from friends with aquariums and feed them to my woods. They don't last long. When visiting in-laws in Pompano Beach, I noticed alot of those rainbow shelled land snails there, what about them.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
The ones I saw were as big your thumb and some larger about the size of apple snail. I would see these in the more natural areas with trees and nearer the Everglades.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
My RES love snails!! I was told they are good because the shells are calcium. You could purchase two from a pet store put them in a 3/4 filled 10 gal tank and they will multiply like crazy!! When the lady here has snails again I will pick some up and maybe we can figure out shipping and such.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jenrell that is a awesome idea. No all I have to do is find a male and female snail and breed my own. That would be so cool if you can send me some. I will keep my eye out, it might be worth a trip to the woods to see if I can get about 10 and breed them.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
I kill about 1000 of them a year, they eat everything that's good! If you could get about 20 of them and let them go in your yard, I bet they would multiply by the 100's but then you couldn't get rid of them fast enough.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Redfootedboxturtles said:
jenrell that is a awesome idea. No all I have to do is find a male and female snail and breed my own. That would be so cool if you can send me some. I will keep my eye out, it might be worth a trip to the woods to see if I can get about 10 and breed them.
Snails are hermphrodites, so all you need are two snails. No need to turn them over and check for concavity.:D

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Chucky said:
I kill about 1000 of them a year, they eat everything that's good! If you could get about 20 of them and let them go in your yard, I bet they would multiply by the 100's but then you couldn't get rid of them fast enough.

Don't kill them!! Send them my way!!

Status
Not open for further replies.