When is it time to worry about not gaining weight?

Peliroja32

Location (City and/or State)
Biloxi, Mississippi
I know i have seen several posts about torts not gaining weight and everyone says as long as they're eating and not losing weight not to worry. I have also talked with my aunt teresaf about this, but when should i start worrying or what can i do so it starts gaining weight. For the last month i will see a gain of maybe a gram or two, then back down, back up, back down....just kind of hovers around 30-31g.
Eats great, i provide fresh food at least 3 times a day, if not more. Any mixture of the following always with mazuri

Grass
Hibiscus leaves and flowers
Cactus
Clover (sparingly since not much grows here)
Mulberry leaves
Spring mix
Romaine

He/she likes mazuri most in the evenings but its always on the plate.
From what i can see he eats and poops pretty normal. Warm soaks in the am.

Temps have been regulated better since the flipping prob we had previously, to one side of the basking lamp is between 94-96ºf, cool side right around 83ºf in one corner, the other one 85... humidity level where temps are 94-96 try to keep between 46-60.

I have tried the carrot babyfood soak every other day, but where i see it looks like hes drinking, it didnt help much with weight.

What else can i do?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A tort's weight varies through the day just like yours does. And in tiny torts a pee or poop can make a massive difference in weight.

Weigh your tort no more frequently than once a week and do it at roughly the same time of day each time. Straight after a morning soak is good.

Just like humans torts will have growth spurts and may go through periods of slower growth. If your tort is eating and has bright eyes and is normally active I wouldn't be overly concerned.

A poop test to check for parasites (done by a vet) is always advised if torts fail to gain weight.

Congratulations on feeding grass. My understanding is that Leopards tend not to start eating it until they are older

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
You've only had him about a month, right? He's still getting settled in still. Some Leo's don't eat much when stressed so I bet he'll really start digging in soon. The kids aren't holding him ALOT are they? They aren't puppies...lol Even if each one holds him once a day that's probably too much. That's 5 times a day!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California