Wheat Grass?

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
I wish I recalled what chelonian diet site I found it on, but yes. Mine get it, I grow it directly in their winter enclosures.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Yes, good. I get the wheat berry's at the health food store. Currently 99 cents a pound down here (depending on the market they go from 59 cents to 1.29 cents a pound). Plant, water ... easy peasy. They sprout in about 3-4 days. You can plant every few days in different little flats to rotate your supply. Or in your enclosure outside for little wheat stands for sight barriers or hidey places. I get the red winter wheat and the white hard and white soft. All work well. Interchangeable. Also good for you to eat, unless you are on a gluten free diet. Wheat grass drink is super healthy stuff. Almost too healthy. : )

AdamStage

5 Year Member
New Hudson, Michigan
Thank you both for all the info. I am actually going to plant it in their indoor enclosure just like Sandy mentioned she does. It's almost November in Michigan! It's a little chilly lol.

erica anne

5 Year Member
I planted wheat grass after hearing that it was a good addition to a torts diet. it grew beautifully (in spite of my brown thumb) but my tort won't touch it :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
erica anne said:
I planted wheat grass after hearing that it was a good addition to a torts diet. it grew beautifully (in spite of my brown thumb) but my tort won't touch it :(

If your baby was not started on a VERY varied diet, they will often be reluctant to try new foods. Sadly, most breeders don't offer fresh grass to their babies, and so they don't want to eat it for their new owners. I like to sprout my own and then finely chop it up and mix it with other stuff to start.

This should work for yours too. Get a little tub of that organic wheatgrass form the grocery store and finely chop up some on top of some pre-wetted greens that your tortoise does like. Only use a tiny bit at first and gradually more over time. This might take two months, but don't give up. They have to keep seeing, smelling and tasting it over a period of weeks to get used to it. Put the tub in a window sill and keep it watered and it will keep sprouting for weeks.

erica anne

5 Year Member
Tom said:
erica anne said:

If your baby was not started on a VERY varied diet, they will often be reluctant to try new foods. Sadly, most breeders don't offer fresh grass to their babies, and so they don't want to eat it for their new owners. I like to sprout my own and then finely chop it up and mix it with other stuff to start.

This should work for yours too. Get a little tub of that organic wheatgrass form the grocery store and finely chop up some on top of some pre-wetted greens that your tortoise does like. Only use a tiny bit at first and gradually more over time. This might take two months, but don't give up. They have to keep seeing, smelling and tasting it over a period of weeks to get used to it. Put the tub in a window sill and keep it watered and it will keep sprouting for weeks.

I just wanted to thank you for suggesting that I mix the wheatgrass with something else. I cut it up into really small pieces and mixed it in his Mazuri and not a crumb was left over! I feel so sneaky lol.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
i found wheat grass seed the other day but read on the package it was not for human consumption only to be used for juice/drinking! i did not buy it and kept forgetting to ask on the forum about it! is it ok to buy packaged seeds?

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Oregon
That sounds kind of weird!!! Not for humans to consume but yet Ok for drinking as juice? I think I will check my health food store for organic seeds!

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
I suspect they are indicating that the seeds themselves are not fit (i.e. Inspected and cleaned) for human consumption but resulting sprouts would be fine. Most garden vegetable seeds would carry the same caveats.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I buy mine from a store here in Coppell Texas called Sprouts for $1.69 a tub. I chop off little bits as suggested by Tom and then leave the container on the sink in the kitchen. Every other day I have enough to chop some more for them. I found that if I plant it in the enclosure, the torts will climb into it and bed down and kill it with in days without having eaten any. It is cute though! :)

I'm going to try some Chia seed next!