whats good to grow for them to eat?

adamgreen

I'm good at growing plants. I know their diet is %70 grasses and %30 weeds and I plan to grow them all myself eventually. So what's good to grow for them and the best sources of seeds?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm good at growing plants. I know their diet is %70 grasses and %30 weeds and I plan to grow them all myself eventually. So what's good to grow for them and the best sources of seeds?

This was written for sulcatas, so use less emphasis on grass, but the list is good for leopards too.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Leopards are not as much of a grass eater as some other species. I would strive for 10-20% grass over all, and more weeds, leaves and succulents for the rest.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are marigolds and chives good for them? Are herbs alright?

I don't know those two specifically, but there are several sites that have lists of tortoise safe foods. I'de refer to those.

About the "herbs". Many have pungent odors and strong tastes and the tortoises won't eat them. If you verify they are on the safe to feed lists, there should be no harm in trying.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You can also buy seed mixes from places like tortoise supply.org and Carolina pet supply . They grow quickly and give you a good variety.