What would a sick tortoise look like?

lokdown00

Location (City and/or State)
San Mateo
Hello! I've had my sulcata tortoise for 4 months. Im just noticing that he use to love to eat green but only eats his tortoise food. His eyes are more shut than usual and sleeping more. It's been cold here in norcal so I've kept him inside this week. Do you guys think I should be worried? I'm changing out his uvb light now cause it's the coiled kind. Any help please!

20210129_120721.jpg20210129_120942.jpg

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Poor little guy doesnt look well at all, looks very dry. How is he housed? Does it get regular soaks? First order of business with this guy is a couple of nice long warm soaks daily. 95degree water. Im not sulcata guy so others will be along soon to help but its good you found us, I hope it is in time.

lokdown00

San Mateo
Poor little guy doesnt look well at all, looks very dry. How is he housed? Does it get regular soaks? First order of business with this guy is a couple of nice long warm soaks daily. 95degree water. Im not sulcata guy so others will be along soon to help but its good you found us, I hope it is in time.
Yes I give him daily soaks. Maybe it's his water bowl? I use a lid of a plastic container and I keep his enclosure at 75% humidity

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Is he missing a toe or just a nail? Is he by himself? Can you take a better picture of his plastron please

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Post pictures of his enclosure, lights and temperature ect.. this would help

lokdown00

San Mateo
I need to replace the top with a more closed top. His temp is at 84*. Could it be the uvb? I read on here it's bad for him. His eyes are gunky too

Attachments

• 20210129_124646.jpg
    20210129_124646.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 50
  • 20210129_124659.jpg
    20210129_124659.jpg
    878.9 KB · Views: 49

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! I've had my sulcata tortoise for 4 months. Im just noticing that he use to love to eat green but only eats his tortoise food. His eyes are more shut than usual and sleeping more. It's been cold here in norcal so I've kept him inside this week. Do you guys think I should be worried? I'm changing out his uvb light now cause it's the coiled kind. Any help please!
Its been cold so you kept him inside? Does he normally live outside? Babies can't live outside, especially in winter here. They should never drop below 80 day or night.

It looks like the coil bulb may have burned his eyes.

Here is the correct care info. Follow what it says and your tortoise should recover and be fine. https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/

lokdown00

San Mateo
Its been cold so you kept him inside? Does he normally live outside? Babies can't live outside, especially in winter here. They should never drop below 80 day or night.

It looks like the coil bulb may have burned his eyes.

Here is the correct care info. Follow what it says and your tortoise should recover and be fine. https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/

I usually let him outside for some sun only 30 minutes before work. He gets a soak almost every other day too. He lives inside, the house is around 65-70*

I am getting a new bulb today. His health was declining when I bought the new bulb. I should of bought the better one ?

lokdown00

San Mateo
He always perks up during his soaks and after spending time in the sun. This picture is of keanu right now

Attachments

• 20210129_125411.jpg
    20210129_125411.jpg
    713.2 KB · Views: 63

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Reptiles are tough animals that often only show very small signs of illness when they are very sick. Even near death.
Though many tortoises live full lives with little to no intervention, if something becomes obviously wrong, it needs to be addressed right away.
Sometimes what we first see are actually the final stages of a serious medical problem.

lokdown00

San Mateo
Reptiles are tough animals that often only show very small signs of illness when they are very sick. Even near death.
Though many tortoises live full lives with little to no intervention, if something becomes obviously wrong, it needs to be addressed right away.
Sometimes what we first see are actually the final stages of a serious medical problem.
so you are saying he's dying?

lokdown00

San Mateo
I forgot to mention he had a very large bump on his neck a couple months ago, brought him to the vet and they performed surgery to remove it. he's been fine after that til now.

zovick

10 Year Member!
so you are saying he's dying?
The tortoise doesn't look very good. It appears to be very dry in the first two photos you posted. In the one in post #12, it looks a little better, but in that picture it appears as though the lower jaw is protruding out beyond his upper jaw. Did you notice if the upper beak has fallen off to cause that problem or has it always been that way?

In one of the first two pix, it almost looks as though there is a yellowish bump on the neck just behind the head. It may be dried skin coming off, though. It's hard to tell for sure from the angle and the lighting. Can you see any yellow bumps on this tortoise's skin anywhere on its body?

Reactions: Ink