what weed is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinytorts

5 Year Member
hi,
dose anyone know what weed this is, i picked it near some stables among nettels there seemed to be alot of it , it was very easy to pick came straight out the ground, can tortoise eat this?
DSC00624.JPG
DSC00626.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm no plant expert. That looks similar to something called elephant ear, which is on the toxic lists. As I said, I'm not sure, so I could be wrong. To be safe, I wouldn't feed any of it until you get a positive ID.

FWishbringer

5 Year Member
That -looks- suspiciously like a species of the Philodendron genus to me (though its cut, which makes it harder to ID for me). Does it grow in single, small, terminal plants with their own root systems (would not be a Philodendron); or does it vine (most certainly is); or does it have small things that look like mini-plants coming up off a rope-like main root (quite likely is)?

From http://www.exoticrainforest.com which helps id Philodendrons...
Philodendron-williamsii-sma.gif

All Philodendron sp. I know of are VERY toxic to cats, dogs, and children; and would assume the same for tortoises.

As a note about Philodendrons, they were introduced as houseplants here in Florida, but have become weeds in many many places. Our temps don't drop low enough to kill them, so they keep growing year round.

Status
Not open for further replies.