What type of tortoise suits me best?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Thanks for all the input! I've been checking out different enclosure types and planning my setup. My plan is to get everything in advance and have it running for a while before I get the tortoise just to make sure I can adjust everything as needed until all temps and the humidity are in a good range constantly. I don't want to start adjusting and changing stuff with the tortoise already here. I don't want to stress it by changing its environment...

I've been doing some more reading and I guess I'm getting a little scared off again by all the sudden deaths people have encountered. So far I thought that if you get over the first year or so you're kind of out of the woods, but then there's all sorts of people on the internet who've had their tortoise for over a dacade and suddenly found their pet dead in the morning. I know that can happen with all kinds of pets. I adopted my first dog from a spanish shelter and then I lost him before he even turned a year old due to kidney failure. But I also know it's not the norm for that to happen.

You guys have been keeping tortoises for ever and you seem to all have several ones... Whats your best guess on early mortality rates, when prper care is given? Sometimes I get the feeling people keep tortoises like they keep fish, you know? If it dies, just flush it and get a new one and that would just be unbearable for us. We just get so attached to our pets and they're all part of the family. So I guess what I'm really trying to ask is: have you had a lot of your tortoises die on you? And: Will I have to be scared about checking on my tortoise every morning?
I had no idea tortoises were hard to raise until I discovered this forum when Charlie was 16 years old. He is the only tortoise I have ever had. I raised him with very little information, just used common sense and didn't worry. Now I worry more because I know of all the things that could go wrong.

We get very attached to our pets too. I think most on the forum would be devastated if their tortoise died.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Having the enclosure ready to go before you get the tortoise is a very good idea. It takes a little time to get everything tweaks just right.
In a perfect world you will get a tortoise and you'll end up having to put it in your will and have it passed down to your kids and then grandkids. But that's not guaranteed for any of us. All you can do is take the best care of the tortoise that you can and that you know how to. There's no guarantee in life. By the tortoise from a reputable place, adults are hardier than hatchlings, do research before you get it. some species are easier than others and hardier. Keep asking questions after you get it.
I have lost a tortoise and it is just as heartbreaking as losing any other pet. And I think most people here would agree with that.

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
I gotcha ! Just an FYI . Red foots are protein eaters ,so their poop can be strong smelling . That 's why I had to build them a shed outside . How much room can you give a tortoise ? The more the better . It would be cool if you had a small yard I'd give you all kinds of opinions. I know there's guys on here that keep torts indoors year round . I personally don't . If you're going for smaller species try pancakes . You can build them floor space with stuff to climb and hide in.
I woke up in 4 in the morning to the worst smell imaginable. I thought my dog took a dump in my room but no... it was far worse. My 3 toed box turtle.... that's all you need to know.