What to make living environment for baby box turtle

FATxNINJA

I have a 8 month old eastern box turtle hatchling and was wondering if I could get some advice on how I could make his habitat a living one with real plants and such I need to know what kinda soil to use what plants are good for indoor growth as well also is ther a special kinda lighting required I enjoy leaving him in an outdoor enclosure but when winter comes it's best I keep him in an area where he still feels comfortable so any suggestions are welcome:)

Sara G.

Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
I use a mixture of coco coir and organic top soil in my enclosure and it works out very well for both the plants and my tort.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
I would imagine the requirements for box turtles are the same as most torts.
You'll likely need a basking bulb, UVB bulb and an ambient heat bulb/overnight bulb.

I just an MVB, provides both heat and UVB.
Or you can you a flood bulb from Home Depot and get a tube (not coil--coil bulbs have been known to harm a torts eyes) UVB bulb.
Overnight, I'm not sure if you'll need overnight heat or not but if you do a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) is amazing. Provides no light but plenty of heat. I recommend hooking that up to a thermostat to keep it at one temp.

FATxNINJA

Thnks for help do you know any plants that would really make it stand out compared to other habitats would like some diversity

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
I have one about that age and his inside enclosure is just a end table with 1x6 boards for the sides. I use sphagnum peat moss. The plant I use is a spider plant. Also I used the flower pot it came in and cut it in half for hides. Threw some grass seed on top and everything is growing fine with just a 65 watt indoor floodlight for some heat and light. Box turtles don't need a lot of heat. Under 85 is just fine. If he's outside as much as you say then a uvb bulb isn't necessary. Here's a pic. It's pretty basic. So many possibilities you could do for a inside enclosure. The grass and plants grow just fine with the light I have. Not so much directly under it. It's been pretty warm here lately and I been noticing when the room temp gets over 85 he borrows in the damp soil. Room temperature is fine for these guys. Mine seem to be most active when temps are high 70s. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463963067.767405.jpg

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
To answer your questions about plants. As long as they aren't poisonous any plant will be good. Grow your own or buy them fertilizer and chemical free. What plants aren't poisonous I'm not sure. A quick Google search of what ever plant you are thinking about will tell you.

FATxNINJA

Will do plan to have round 5 to 6 plants in ther with some spagnum moss cover thnks for help

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
Will do plan to have round 5 to 6 plants in ther with some spagnum moss cover thnks for help
I should say that there is no need for your indoor enclosure to drain excess water. The peat moss absorbs and holds moisture so well unlike soil.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
I am a big fan of ferns, and most of my indoor and outdoor box turtles tend to form near them. I have a couple autumn brilliant ferns that Are great to look at in spring and my box turtles love to burrow next to it. It still shoots fiddles so that's all I care about. You can put Irish moss or Scottish moss around the drinking dish for a base and moisture retainer. Right now is a good time to get it. Ivy is another excellent choice.