Box turtle

Purplechic

Location (City and/or State)
She only eats tomatoes and strawberries she will not touch blueberries bananas Anything Green she doesn't like. I tried them all from the list that was on the website for Turtles for box turtles I went down the line I spent over $150 for nothing cuz she didn't eat it. She will eat Turtle boxed food mixed in with those she does like squash once in awhile zucchini once in awhile but she does love strawberries and tomatoes and mushrooms.

Dfwgolden

Texas
She only eats tomatoes and strawberries she will not touch blueberries bananas Anything Green she doesn't like. I tried them all from the list that was on the website for Turtles for box turtles I went down the line I spent over $150 for nothing cuz she didn't eat it. She will eat Turtle boxed food mixed in with those she does like squash once in awhile zucchini once in awhile but she does love strawberries and tomatoes and mushrooms.
My boy was the same way
Try night crawlers
With no calcium suppliment

Offer her those

And see those tend to be the biggest hit for picky eaters

Purplechic

Steven I know I got a hornworm or something like that and she refused it I will try Nightcrawler's I can tell you that I tried two different worms the only worm she likes are superworms but I will try the nightcrawlers.

Dfwgolden

Texas
Try the night crawlers they love them. And they're healthier than the others.

Purplechic

Does anyone have a girl boxy living in their home that is thriving? Gave Myrtle baby nightcrawlers absolutely love them so that'll be her new thing. :) Thank you :) from now on superworms will be just a little treat, she loves Tomatoes strawberries zucchini and squash if that's all I can get her to eat I don't know what to say?

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Does anyone have a girl boxy living in their home that is thriving? Gave Myrtle baby nightcrawlers absolutely love them so that'll be her new thing. :) Thank you :) from now on superworms will be just a little treat, she loves Tomatoes strawberries zucchini and squash if that's all I can get her to eat I don't know what to say?

Hello Purplechic, IMO in order for your box turtle to THRIVE indoors there a crucial steps to be taken even before possessing your turtle. 1) can you provide enough space for your box turtle to adequately live, hunt, and roam? Most hobbyists go by a rule of providing a 4ft x 4ft area for 1 adult box turtle is sufficient for its need. I feel the more space you can give a box turtle to find areas to thermoregulate the better. 2.) Can you create or mimic the natural habitat in which your subspecies box turtle lives in the wild? Temps, Lighting, and substrate? It is crucial to understand the subspecies of your box turtle. For instance, my setup for my 3 toeds are completely different then Gulf Coasts or Florida Box Turtles. So it is imperative to learn the region to which your Eastern lives. They predominately live in grassy plains and woodlands. So, I would want to provide plants in my habitat like ferns, Irish moss, a small hosta, ornamental grass, etc. to help encourage places to hide, help with humidity, but also mimic what plants would be in the wild. 3.) Diet - getting a hatchling, juvenile, or young adult on a proper VARIED diet is crucial. I know your saying, "all it will eat is tomatoes, strawberries etc." justifies why you keep feeding it these things. However, are you really doing the right thing if your feeding it things it has learned to like because you keep feeding it? Should I only give a diabetic chocolate cake because he loves it so much? You and I both know the answer to the question. Fact is its important to understand what your feeding, how often your feeding it, and how those things your feeding are contributing to the health of your turtle. For instance, this week I may boil a chicken breast, shred it, dice up red romaine lettuce, steam some sweet potatoe, mix in some mulberries, and top it off with some of my farmers sweet corn. Next feeding, I may catch me some crawfish or thaw out some krill, do some of your zucchini, mix in some raspberries, shred some carrots, and add some soaked reptomin sticks. Either way I mix it up constantly but I also chop my high vitamin A Greens into small pieces so it adheres to the other items. I mix it all up like a giant salad. Your box turtle will learn to eat whats provided if you train it the right way. Just remember box turtles have a slow digestive system. Yes, they are omnivores(they eat both plant and animal), however they are also opportunisticores:) Meaning if they find something dead in the wild you can find box turtles foraging off of dead animal carcasses. I don't feed my adults everyday, they are fed 2-3 times a week ,they also get a day or so of live protein feeds. Hope this helps and good luck with your box turtle.

Purplechic

So would freeze dried crickets and shrimp be something they would eat because I can't get her to eat them. The Tomato I give her one little small tomato not the regular size they're the cherry tomatoes 1 strawberry one zucchini a little quarter squash a little quarter mushroom rthe same. So this is Ron I should not use it and just give her a box turtle food and let her eat that even though she doesn't really enjoy it? I tried every Green that is listed for Boxee Turtles she does not like greens so I put them in with the worms and let them eat it so she'll get something.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
So would freeze dried crickets and shrimp be something they would eat because I can't get her to eat them. The Tomato I give her one little small tomato not the regular size they're the cherry tomatoes 1 strawberry one zucchini a little quarter squash a little quarter mushroom rthe same. So this is Ron I should not use it and just give her a box turtle food and let her eat that even though she doesn't really enjoy it? I tried every Green that is listed for Boxee Turtles she does not like greens so I put them in with the worms and let them eat it so she'll get something.

Yes the crickets and shrimp are fine but should not be fed as a staple but more as an occasional snack. Don't take this the wrong way, but you have to take human emotion out of your thought process when it comes to feeding. I know your telling me it doesn't like greens but I can tell you they do eat them in the wild. I've watched mine eat dandelion and clover leaves in their outdoor enclosure many times. I hated the thought of eating baked beans when I was a kid so my grandma used some tactics to trick me into eating them. Today I love baked beans! Take the emotion out of it and figure ways to present it. Here a infographic from another group that may helpImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1502049017.793221.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1502049125.375686.jpg