What to feed tortoises during winter?

Hi, this may be a boring post as you may have answered this a million times before...but I am overwintering my 2 1/2 year old hermann, due to the fact that 'he' has rns ('he' is being treated for it). I live in the UK so during winter there aren't many weeds around. I am going to buy some dried flowers ect from the Shell Warriors shop but I also wondered if there was anything else I could buy for my tort in order to offer a wider variety of food. Anything from Supermarkets that people can reccomend???
Thank you soo much, i'm sorry to be such a bore :)

Smartie123

I'm in the Uk as well and struggle with what to feed Donny. He is quiet picky! He loves pack choi and rocket but he was eating it every day and I felt bad he was having no variety. I tried hem on some dandelion flavoured pellets that u can get from pets at home or the range and he loves them! You soak them in water and they swell into a mush consistency. I originally got them as a emergency food for when I couldn't get to the shops but now he has some everyday as well as the leaves. It's a great way to get water in him as well.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Im also in the UK and my lawn weeds are dwindling fast. Ive an abundance of wild geranium, ive read on here it's edible, other care sheets say absolutely not! Same with romaine lettuce and other mixed salad bags. Before she came to me my tort was given the pellets as the sole food source and never had greens or uv light. She was kept in an outhouse all year round! Getting it right is confusing and sometimes the more I read the more confused i get lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Does "outhouse" mean the same thing in the UK as it does here?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In the UK some folks use those packaged salads like Rocket and Crispy Florette. Also I hear they use Komodo Dragon pellets.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Tom the out house over here is what was to be used to store coal for our fires. The outhouses are dark damp and cold and made of brick. These days now we aren't allowed coal fires they make good storage areas for our rubbish bins. Is that the same as yours?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOL! No, here in the States an "outhouse" is where one would relieve themselves of their bodily functions in the days prior to indoor plumbing!

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Yvonne my tort was fed nothing but those pellets and had never eaten a green in her life til she came to me. She still gets them (weaning her gradually instead of a sudden diet change) but will eat them in preference to the greens if she can, they seem to be addictive

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Oh lol we had those too next to the outhouses but we called them "nettys" here in good old geordie land (North East northumberland) lol