what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted

5 Year Member
I'm new to tortoises' so i could use a little help with the reaseach on what best suits me and my sitiuation... i live in mn so outside isn't really an optioin for most of the year. i can't see havin one that is going to get huge cause he or she just wouldn't be happy in the house i'm guessin. i have a 2yr old son too. i would definatly be willing to make an enclosure in the house for one just not sure on all the breeds and such. just need to make sure i know what i'm getting into befor a jump in. any advice would be much apperciated. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I usually recommend two tortoises for indoors, Russians and Redfoots.

The Russian tortoise doesn't get very big and is a pretty personable tortoise. Becomes a "pet" in no time at all. You WILL need to buy an expensive UVB light, though, in order to keep him healthy and good bones and shell.

The Redfoot gets a bit bigger and will require a pretty good-sized indoor habitat during the winter months, but he will get his Vitamin d3 from his food and won't need a heavy-duty UVB light, and you can get by with one of the lesser-output UV lights for him. They also become pretty tamed and personable.

So, look around our different forums and see the pictures we've put up of our habitats and see what might fit in with your life style.

Ted

5 Year Member
what are we talking for size, of the redfoot or russian? what about box turtles?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Ted said:
what are we talking for size, of the redfoot or russian? what about box turtles?
I have a Redfoot and also a few box turtles. I really don't know anything about the Russian Tortoise.
I know a lot of people who keep their boxies inside in the Winter and do not hibernate them. The one's that I have to keep inside, if they are too small to go out for the Winter, or are underweight, I keep in planted vivariums. A 40 gal. breeder tank is a good size if you don't have enought room for something bigger. It would be great if you could make something outside for the Summer, and bring him in for the Winter if you want. You could get one from a rescue if there is any near where you live.
For a Redfoot you would need something much bigger for inside. Mine is already over 7 in. and only 3 years old, and I just up-graded to a 125 gal. vivarium for Winters inside. Their care is just about the same as a Box turtle. Low light, high warm humidity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most of the Testudo species should suit your needs too. Many of them are relatively easy to keep, stay 5-10" and hibernate. The russians that Yvonne mentioned above are an example. Also look into greeks, and hermanns. They can hibernate the cold winters away and stay in outdoor pens during better weather.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Russians have an adult size of 4-11 inches, average is more like 4-6 for males and 7-9 for females (if you get a younger one, sex won't be 100%). For an adult indoor enclosure size, I'd say a minimum of 8-10 square feet (large plastic tub or wood box "tort table"). Some keep them in much much less though, but they thrive with space. Any outdoor time is good, but yes, both Russians and Redfoots are breeds that can do better indoors (same with Greeks and Hermanns, although its more difficult to find them). Take your time doing the research. My best advice is to get one at least a year old, captive bred (not from Petco or Petsmart, but from a breeder), and only work with what you have (don't assume you will move before the tort gets to its adult size). Redfoots I think get up to 18 inches long, so definitely a larger breed than a Russian, and tougher to care for because they have high humidity requirements. As long as your kid is happy having a pet to observe, not to hold & cuddle & play with, tortoises can be a great match with even young kids. Good luck and best wishes!

Status
Not open for further replies.