At what height do tortoises no longer "jump"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
Morbid subject heading, I know, but I assure you this is a legitimate question. I have noticed that tortoises and box turtles (more so than pond turtles) understand that they should be wary of heights. They may be willing to do a small face-plant, but when approaching a high enough ledge, they look over the edge, but know not to jump. I've read that the reason pond turtles are more willing to go over an edge is that they are accustomed to jumping off a log safely into the water. Terrestrial turtles, on the other hand, instinctively know that things don't work that way on land.

However, today I took my Russian tortoises into the front yard, and the male approached the edge of the sidewalk. Like most sidewalks, it is 4 inches high. To my surprise, instead of turning around he stepped forward and did a face-plant onto the pavement below. I looked him over carefully to make sure he was all right, and sure enough there's not a mark on him. He's behaving normally and feeding well, so I think he's fine. I would have thought that he would have drawn the line at about 4 inches, but he did not.

So my question is, at what height would a tortoise or box turtle no longer be willing to go over the edge?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would have to say (based on my guys) Never :D I especially have one daredevil, Herman is his name.....he has always done crazy stuff and he is the reason that I walk and check in on all of my guys through out the day...he will walk up the mountain of dirt that covers his huts...he will walk right to the edge (which is about 6-8 inches approx drop from the edge to the slope of the hill) and look and look and instead of going back the way he came, yup...he walks right off the edge (dork) and most times he is fine, a bit of an abrupt landing but all in all fine....however he will go to the corner of that same edge ...squeeze in sideways and wedge himself forcefully between that ledge and the fencing of his enclosure and step off...most times he wiggles and flings his front legs around until he drops onto his side onto the slope and lays there for a moment then does this push up thing and is righted 100%....now, I have removed all sources of climbing obstacles for him (except for his big ole have log that he loves to go into during the am heat up) so when he gets really crazy he will climb up the side of his enclosure and become vertical with the fence and on his back feet do this shimmy along the fence (I believe he thinks he is sneaking..LOL) and will go sometimes 10 feet doing this....so I have just resolved I have to check on him through out the day (although I have not found him "stuck" I have found him in weird positions...LOL) so, I wish you luck... :D

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Small children have the same sense of a drop off. They learn after a couple times not to do that. Your male might need the same reminder. Live and learn, right? :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think motivation is another factor that would have to be considered. If they are just out for a casual stroll, I would expect a fairly low height to discourage them. But if they are in a panic, running for their life (for whatever reason) I would expect that any height would not be a deterrent.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Tom said:
I think motivation is another factor that would have to be considered. If they are just out for a casual stroll, I would expect a fairly low height to discourage them. But if they are in a panic, running for their life (for whatever reason) I would expect that any height would not be a deterrent.

Good point. Several people had gathered round to watch Mork and Mindy (they often draw a crowd), so maybe Mork got spooked. :(

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
hmmm...my guy Herman appears to be doing it on a casual basis...as though he is doing it with out regard and not panic...but he has always been my acrobat and I suppose there is always one in the crowd :D

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Here are 2 pics of a baby box turtle that was determined to go over the edge, I saw him climbing up the shovel and slide back to the bottom several times,so I went and got the camera, when I got back he finally made all the way to the top and I caught him in the second pic just as he was going over the edge.I waited to see if he came around to do it again but he didn't.Len

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
??Len?? said:
Here are 2 pics of a baby box turtle that was determined to go over the edge, I saw him climbing up the shovel and slide back to the bottom several times,so I went and got the camera, when I got back he finally made all the way to the top and I caught him in the second pic just as he was going over the edge.I waited to see if he came around to do it again but he didn't.Len

Now that is a little acrobat

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
It seems to me that box turtles are fearless when climbing/ I've seen them in southern ohio in very steep and rugged woods, on the hilltops or in the "hollers", or half way up.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
My smallest female, Apollonia, is an enthusiastic climber, so I mortared some rocks together, so as to allow her to climb to the top of the "cave", then back down...here she's climbing up yet again:

587b13b5-f8cb-40d5-85e8-c8b422c183df

The other three show no interest, so far, other than Ptolemy climbing up once, right after I put it together.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
I have observed cognitive judgments with my box turtles, and there always seems to be a determining factor. I have to actually use a lid with clamps and make sure there is absolutely no overhang of plants/debris/shade cloth etc around the edges or else they are out of there and in search of the girls.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Now this could be a good science fair project for anyone with little kids, provided it was conducted under good supervision. You could see if there is a height they recognize not to go over, or if they learn not to jump after repeated attempts. :D

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Greg T said:
Now this could be a good science fair project for anyone with little kids, provided it was conducted under good supervision. You could see if there is a height they recognize not to go over, or if they learn not to jump after repeated attempts. :D

What's your 2nd best idea?

Sounds cruel. :tort:

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
??Len?? said:

I think that guy needs some counseling ;)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
yagyujubei said:
It seems to me that box turtles are fearless when climbing/ I've seen them in southern ohio in very steep and rugged woods, on the hilltops or in the "hollers", or half way up.

Used to find box turtles in blackberry bushes, sometimes as high as 6+ feet off the ground, when I lived in Arkansas.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Terry Allan Hall said:
Used to find box turtles in blackberry bushes, sometimes as high as 6+ feet off the ground, when I lived in Arkansas.

Hmm, very interesting. I always assumed boxies only needed to climb a little bit to clamber over rocks, but maybe their climbing ability allows them to feed on berries in bushes as well?!

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
My 9 month old Sulcata will walk along the edge of the sidewalk and dangle her legs...if she can't touch the floor she'll move on. It's funny to watch her "testing" areas.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Fernando said:
My 9 month old Sulcata will walk along the edge of the sidewalk and dangle her legs...if she can't touch the floor she'll move on. It's funny to watch her "testing" areas.

Funny ... but at least it makes sense! :)
How big is a 9-month-old sully, anyway?

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ahhh your going to make me go home and measure her now!!! lol

Now I'm curious....about a month ago I believe she was 280 grams...I haven't measured her lately but last I remember (maybe 2 months ago) she was almost 4 inches.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

Hmm, very interesting. I always assumed boxies only needed to climb a little bit to clamber over rocks, but maybe their climbing ability allows them to feed on berries in bushes as well?!

If there's something they want to eat, a box turtle'll find a way to access it. Plus, blackberry bushes are very thick, so they make easy access.

London_-_blackberry_bushes_at_Muswell_Hill.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.