What temp is too high

Hankilloh

Location (City and/or State)
Saskatoon!! Say whaaaaat
we've been getting very high temperatures where I live lately and I'm wondering if maybe I should move my tortoise downstairs where it's cooler. Can you tell me what temp his enclosure should be and what's too high for him? Thanks

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your tort will become less active in very high temperatures - probably around 30C/86F

What happens is that the tort is more likely to be active at dawn and dusk when temperatures suit it better.

In the extreme, it goes into a summer hibernation called aestivation.

Moving it to somewhere cooler makes sense. Increasing soak frequency is also sensible to improve hydration

Hankilloh

Saskatoon!! Say whaaaaat
What's extreme heat? Above 30? If it does reach extreme high heat should I just keep him in water as long as possible or what's the best way to cool him off
Your tort will become less active in very high temperatures - probably around 30C/86F

What happens is that the tort is more likely to be active at dawn and dusk when temperatures suit it better.

In the extreme, it goes into a summer hibernation called aestivation.

Moving it to somewhere cooler makes sense. Increasing soak frequency is also sensible to improve hydration

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
30 is hot but not extreme. In the UK we don't get extreme by anyone else's standards ;)

@Tom would know more about extreme temperatures

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Above 40 is too high.
He should have lots of plants to hide and moist soil to dig in if the heat is getting dangerous.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
SInce you are talking about moving him downstairs, I'll assume you are talking about an indoor enclosure.

For a daytime ambient, I wouldn't want it over 85-90. It would be dangerous once it starts getting over 99-100, but how could it get that hot inside? Night time should still cool into the 60's.