What plants can be grown in a RT enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raffiel the RT

5 Year Member
I want to but a live plant in my little guys cage so it doesn't look or feels so boring. I was wondering which one would be best for my Russian tortoise to eat.

Irish

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orlando Florida
Dandelion weeds, and hibiscus. You can buy hibiscus at Home Depot. Just make sure you do not fertilize it so you don't harm your tort.

Raffiel the RT

5 Year Member
Irish said:
Dandelion weeds, and hibiscus. You can buy hibiscus at Home Depot. Just make sure you do not fertilize it so you don't harm your tort.

Anything else???

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
that link provided is PERFECT, i took the time to list out all the plants in their different categories by their edibleness (all, leaves and flowers, leaves and stems, petals only, etc.) on a single sheet. makes things much easier to look for when at the store looking for seeds.

a suggestion when it comes to having plants within the enclosure, you may want to grow them in two trays, (let them grow to maturity so they wont just die when eaten), and alternate the trays out when theyve been mowed down or destroyed. haha

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
It looks like you've already gotten some good sources for safe plants. I've put spider plants (potted) and christmas cactus (potted) in my tortoise tables before. The torts generally bulldozed the heck out of them pretty quickly - so I gave up on live plants for my adult torts indoors. Outside in their tortoise garden there are MANY plants and weeds that are all tortoise safe. :)
There are some nice seed mixes out there that might work, you could grow them in little trays and rotate them into the tortoise enclosure once the seeds have grown.

Raffiel the RT said:
I want to but a live plant in my little guys cage so it doesn't look or feels so boring. I was wondering which one would be best for my Russian tortoise to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.