What is normal Tort activity?

kierstar3

5 Year Member
20131113_191753.jpgCurious - What is the normal daily activity for a tort?
- Kierstin

Last edited by a moderator:

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
Not sure what is nomal, but here is what mine do. Keep in mind, mine are out door torts. They usually wake up with the sun or slightly before and take a tour of their garden, eating any new sprouts etc.., They then spend a few hours looking for an escape route after which, when the sun hits the garden, they take an extended nap. When they get warm, they move to the back shaded area andtake another nap. near sunset, they move off to their night time sleeping area and dig in for the night. When it gets colder out, they don't move around near as much, in fact, right now (North Texas) I only see them every other day or so. Likewise, when it is hot outside they will stay buried most of the day and come out only early morning and late evening.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since your picture is of a Russian tortoise, I'll tell you what my Russians do. They are outside too.

The night before, they have buried themselves. At first light they un-bury and head for the fence along the western edge of their pen. They prop themselves up on the side of the fence so two legs, a front and a back, are up on the fence and the other two legs are on the ground. They sit that way, sunning, for about an hour. Then they wander the pen eating, after which they bury themselves again. Occasionally they will come out again in the late afternoon looking for more food. Then, before nightfall, they bury themselves again.

The only inside chelonians I have are a couple of desert tortoise babies and some baby box turtles. These guys come out when I turn the lights on, looking for me to feed them. Once they have fed, the desert tortoises sit directly under the light, while the box turtles go back into hiding. The desert tortoise will go back to the food throughout the day, but sleep most of the rest of the time.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
wake up, warm up, eat, wander for a bit, warm up, nap, eat, drink and go to bed :D they do not do much all the time. give them plants and things to crawl over and hide in and they will explore. i change up the enclosure a bunch and that excites them :)

smylemaker

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Great question , I love knowing that this is all normal, activities , I thought I was suppose to keep mine up all day so he would sleep at night..

keirstar what is ur tort doing ?
I am just getting to know mine and he seems to nap a whole lot, as soon as we wake in morning we feed, then he digs, I cant keep him outside too cold... so I take him out in my sunroom for the day (if I am home) he explores, poops all over the floor, tries to escape, sleeps, repeat...around dinner time I put him back in his enclosure , he digs, looks for treats, then sleeps... (when I come back in this world... I want to be a well cared for Tort) Life is good :D

Andrea M

5 Year Member
Hokie gets up about 8 even though his light goes on 6.30, sits on his rock for an hour basking, eats, soaks, mooches, basks again and sleeps for an hour under his light, then takes himself off under his log for a sleep, repeat for the next 10 hours with intermittent wandering round and munching on cuttlefish. His light goes off at 20.30 then he takes himself off to bed (buried in the coco coir under his log)....and repeat! I love it when I water his enclosure or move it around (usually once a week) as he becomes really animated and has to explore and taste everything again. Hokie loves the English winter because the central heating is on and he's out for hours.

Homerist

10 Year Member!
My Indian star would be pacing around her enclosure, a plastic tub and seemed to be looking for food. She would raise her head high and give a look which seemed to say, "hey man, where's the food?". That's in the morning. In the afternoon she would take naps and sometimes she would just stare into the distance, deep in thoughts and when she caught me observing her, she would wink at me. This is true. Wink. In the evening after dinner with her, we would watch the tv programs and often times she would doze off before the show finishes.. A typical weekend with my Homer, my star.