What can I do to encourage eating?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Posting the video directly from my phone didnt work for me either so I had to upload the video to youtube and just post the link
You can however post a picture from your phone. It's ok with me. I like the privacy that TFO has built into it. Here I don't worry as much about posting.

Kevboosh

California
I figured out why the gifs I tried to post of my twitch tortoise persona didnt work. I got a bunch more facial expressions but dont want to go nuts posting art. Also a bonus drawing I did of him. These are old and I've since added a bunch of stickers and stuff to his shell lol. Sorry if this isnt the kind of stuff that belongs on this forum.
IMG_1271.GIFIMG_1248.GIFIMG_1251.GIFIMG_0253.PNG

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I wonder if its the size of the file?
No. I checked that out. Just to see. I even wrote down the specifics and they were the same. Even if it's a longer video. If it comes from my phone camera it won't post even if it's a short one. But if it comes from one of my WiFi cameras it will. If it's a long one I may have to post it at a lower resolution but that's about it. I haven't tried utube yet which I know will work but I'ma not gonna bother with all that yet.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
No. I checked that out. Just to see. I even wrote down the specifics and they were the same. Even if it's a longer video. If it comes from my phone camera it won't post even if it's a short one. But if it comes from one of my WiFi cameras it will. If it's a long one I may have to post it at a lower resolution but that's about it. I haven't tried utube yet which I know will work but I'ma not gonna bother with all that yet.
OH - do you have an iphone? I know they use HEIC for photos and some systems won't recognize it... could be related...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I figured out why the gifs I tried to post of my twitch tortoise persona didnt work. I got a bunch more facial expressions but dont want to go nuts posting art. Also a bonus drawing I did of him. These are old and I've since added a bunch of stickers and stuff to his shell lol. Sorry if this isnt the kind of stuff that belongs on this forum.
View attachment 355861View attachment 355862View attachment 355863View attachment 355864

OH - do you have an iphone? I know they use HEIC for photos and some systems won't recognize it... could be related...
No. It's android.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
View attachment 355861View attachment 355862View attachment 355863View attachment 355864

I am officially out of ideas then!
Oh does that mean you don't like wormy apples 🍎.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
You shouldn't worry about pics and videos here. We love it. There's a saying here. If you don't have a picture it didn't happen 😭😉😘

Kevboosh

California
Update: Romaine lettuce did the trick. I had just assumed it was one of the things included in the spring greens mix but I guess not. Can't believe he refused all the stuff I've been trying to spoil him with

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Update: Romaine lettuce did the trick. I had just assumed it was one of the things included in the spring greens mix but I guess not. Can't believe he refused all the stuff I've been trying to spoil him with
Just be very careful about that 🙏 and mix tiny bits of the stuff you really want to feed with it. I'm only saying that because they get fixated on romaine so easy it's not funny. They love it. But congratulations on getting the brat on a food strike to start eating though.😜 If the gut isn't moving along that's probably worse. 😁

Kevboosh

California
Just be very careful about that 🙏 and mix tiny bits of the stuff you really want to feed with it. I'm only saying that because they get fixated on romaine so easy it's not funny. They love it. But congratulations on getting the brat on a food strike to start eating though.😜 If the gut isn't moving along that's probably worse. 😁
Absolutely. I'm guessing it will take a while but I doubt it will be that hard. I trained my macaw to stop screaming and to only talk instead. Compared to that, this should be a cake walk :)

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Absolutely. I'm guessing it will take a while but I doubt it will be that hard. I trained my macaw to stop screaming and to only talk instead. Compared to that, this should be a cake walk :)
I love that it worked 🤣😁🐢 there's more than one way to entice them to be semi obedient.🤗

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Another update, he'll eat whatever I give him if I just mix a small bit of romaine in with it :)
There is nothing wrong with using romaine as a delivery vehicle to put lots of other good stuff into your tortoise. I just wanted you to know that in case someone somewhere else, like FB for example, tries to shout you down for feeding lettuce to your tortoise.

Kevboosh

California
There is nothing wrong with using romaine as a delivery vehicle to put lots of other good stuff into your tortoise. I just wanted you to know that in case someone somewhere else, like FB for example, tries to shout you down for feeding lettuce to your tortoise.
Thanks. How long before I should worry about him not pooping? He went three weeks without eating. He ate for a week and yesterday and today have been his first starve days. Well, semi starve days actually. Yesterday I gave him about a tablespoon of romaine smeared with mazuri and today about the same amount but with spring mix instead of mazuri. I went a little longer before limiting his food because of the three weeks without eating and because the first couple days of eating, he didnt eat that much. He "peed" yesterday. Been a few days without a soak so I'll be giving him a good one tomorrow morning.