What breed is my tortoise?

Michele Dodds

Hi All

I have recently acquired a young tortoise but unfortunately no one seems to know a lot about the little fella. I am desperately trying to identify him to ensure he is getting the right foods (he has only been fed peas) and to ensure he gest the care he needs but I am having great trouble identifying him. The closest I get is that he looks like either a Mediterranean or Russian tortoise (I've only got this idea in my head based upon pictures I have seen) Even the vets in my area do not seem to deal with tortoises.
Any help would be very much appreciated. I have attached a picture
Thanks

200.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's a Russian tortoise (Testudo horsefieldii), and peas isn't a good diet for it. Take a look at our species specific section. We have a good care sheet pinned at the top there.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum, @Michele Dodds .:)

Your tort is a Russian cutie. GOD bless.

Where do you live and what's the weather like now? Please make sure there's enough warmth and enough humidity, give your tort daily soaks in warm water so as to avoid pyramiding and dehydration.

Michele Dodds

It's a Russian tortoise (Testudo horsefieldii), and peas isn't a good diet for it. Take a look at our species specific section. We have a good care sheet pinned at the top there.
Thank you. I was worried as he has only been eating peas and now trying to get him to change diet is a nightmare - he is so stubborn. Thank you for replying

Michele Dodds

Hi Michele and welcome to the forum. You will find everything you need to give you new tortoise the best here.

As Yvonne stated, you have an adult Russian (Horsefield) tortoise. Here is the care sheet she referenced in case you are not yet navigating this site easily...

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
Thank you so much for your help and for sending me the link. I can now try and change his diet - he is very stubborn so this will be interesting. Again thank you so much

Michele Dodds

A very warm welcome to the forum, @Michele Dodds .:)

Your tort is a Russian cutie. GOD bless.

Where do you live and what's the weather like now? Please make sure there's enough warmth and enough humidity, give your tort daily soaks in warm water so as to avoid pyramiding and dehydration.
Thank you. The weather is actually sunny here today but it has been cold and damp. I have an infa red heat lamp that he sits under. I have only just learnt the benefits of bathing him so will be giving him a warm bath tonight. Thank you so much for the advice. I am very new to this so any help is much appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You also need to change that substrate, get rid of the newspaper, get rid of the red bulb, and replace the ramped water bowl with a terra cotta saucer sunk into the substrate. This is all explained in the care sheet.

Use the peas to get him to eat all the correct stuff. Mash up the peas and smear them all over the better foods. Over time use less and less of the peas and more and more of the other stuff.