What are some safe pesticides and weed killers to use around Sulcata tortoises?

Dawn K

I live in Arizona and my back yard is mainly rock with patches of edible plants for my tortoise (Sheli) to graze. She is going on 3 years and has been living outside since last September. She eats hibiscus, Mexican petunia, geraniums, roses, some herbs,spider plant and cucumber plants form the yard. I also feed her Kale and green leafy vegetables from the store. The plants she eats have not been organic nor have I re-potted or waited for new growth before I let her eat (like I see some say to do on other threads). She roams around the yard in the morning then goes into the habitat and comes out later in the afternoon before she goes to bed.

My yard is being taken over by weeds and a lot of tiny bugs (gnats, mites etc.). What can I use or what if I spray one side and wait awhile then move her and do the other side. The roses and some other plants are being killed by the pests. Please help...Thank you

cassieopia

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas, Zone 3
I would like to see an answer as well. We just planted a garden full of veggies we can share with Kronk- but I don't know what to do if it comes to pesticides. I'd like to keep it organic for us all, but as of now I don't know how long we will be able to hold out.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Best weed killer ever? Hands. And add a little elbow grease.
Seriously, most weed killers are toxic to the soil (RoundUp stays in the soil for 25 years according to former USDA soil scientist Lt. Col. Don Huber)
They are toxic to bees, to butterflies and my guess is our own DNA gets some of it, too. Tortoises do not need anything sprayed around them, not even from your neighbors, I strongly believe it can hurt them.

Second best weed killer ever? Sulcata. Them sullies love to eat weeds. And most "weeds" are good for us/them. Full of nutrients.

Pests are a sign that your plants are weak, weakened. Nature, survival of the fittest. Pests, parasites, bad bugs will always attack the weak plant, animal, human. If your plants are amended with organic things, they will be stronger. Not as instant gratification as some petroleum based products. Chemical fertilizers weaken the cell walls and in time create very weak plants. Weak plants, again, attract pest and eventual death. Nature has now eliminated the weak. Also, amend or even change your soil if it is in pots. Healthy soil = healthy plants = no bugs bugging. It all begins with the soil.

Maybe you can post pics of the weeds that you are looking at and we can chime in if they are edible or not for your sulcata. If they are good to eat, you can let your tortoise graze, or spoil her by taking your scissors and serving them on her plate. You are Food Goddess, and she as Queen of Eating.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You can use food grade DE. It has to be food grade, the other DE is used to clean pools and is poisonous. You just sprinkle it around and it kills a lot of different types of bugs. It is safe for your tortoise although when I used it I sprayed it in the enclosure then waited a couple days before I put the tortoise out there, I'm just paranoid :) sprinkle it around lightly and then leave it, don't get it wet or it won't work.

cassieopia

5 Year Member
Central Arkansas, Zone 3
Thanks! My tort eats well (very well, lol) I was just concerned that if I needed a pesticide at a later point, I might put my guy in a bad spot...
Thanks again!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
As far as a weed killer, I think this is the right recipe. 1 gallon white vinegar, 2 cups Epson salt, 1/4 cup blue Dawn dishwashing soap. Mix it well and spray it on the plants. It kills whatever plant you spray it on however so make sure it's just what you want to be dead :) I used it and it worked very well. You have to put it on every few weeks however.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Diatomaceous earth is a good idea, yes. Thanks leigti. Be sure it is food grade always.
Just say no to toxic weed killers, as most are.
Sullies do eat oh so very well, the little lawn mowers slash tractors slash bulldozers! : )

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't use any chemicals around my animals. I pull weeds that I don't want, and either let the tortoises eat the ones I do want, or let them go to seed so I have more the next year.

I don't know about the soil quality having anything to do with bug resistance though. I get around the bugs by harvesting the new growth before the bugs can really get their life cycles completed enough to cause a major problem.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
[QUOTE="Dawn K, post: 1079385, member: 58372" The plants she eats have not been organic nor have I re-potted or waited for new growth before I let her eat (like I see some say to do on other threads). [/QUOTE]

I think the above is a big mistake. I sincerely hope these accumulated chemicals don't cause your tortoise a problem sometime down the road.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Not want you want to hear, but you may have to modify your garden to grow pest resistant native varieties, or plants that suit the climate and conditions better. The right plant in the right place thrives. Otherwise you work very hard for dubious results, and endanger your tortoise and the environment.

I'm a second generation organic gardener. I have occasionally used liquid soap as a pesticide.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-care.com/vinegar-weed-killer.html

I have used vinegar, Dawn and epsom salts to kill grass in places where I don't want it growing. It works, but has to be reapplied on Bermuda grass because the roots go so deep. Just to be safe, I kept animals off the grass for a week or so or until I had a chance to run the sprinkler.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I don't spray anything! I lay out ant baits (homemade) and that's it! Fortunately, all the flora around here is edible so weeds aren't an issue!

Dawn K

[QUOTE="Dawn K, post: 1079385, member: 58372" The plants she eats have not been organic nor have I re-potted or waited for new growth before I let her eat (like I see some say to do on other threads).

I think the above is a big mistake. I sincerely hope these accumulated chemicals don't cause your tortoise a problem sometime down the road.[/QUOTE]
I am saying that I never really thought about if the plants I was buying were organic or not. I didn't think about the tiny plants. However, I make sure that I use no chemicals or pesticides around the area or on the plants. Hence the question I was asking on what is safe to use for weed and bugs.

Dawn K

http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-care.com/vinegar-weed-killer.html

I have used vinegar, Dawn and epsom salts to kill grass in places where I don't want it growing. It works, but has to be reapplied on Bermuda grass because the roots go so deep. Just to be safe, I kept animals off the grass for a week or so or until I had a chance to run the sprinkler.

The vinegar sounds like a good one to try. I have not heard about Epsom salts before however, I do feed my palms it. This is my first year growing food for grazing. Thanks for the help.

Dawn K

I don't spray anything! I lay out ant baits (homemade) and that's it! Fortunately, all the flora around here is edible so weeds aren't an issue!
I wish mine would eat more weeds. The ant baits sound like a good Idea. Is the recipe in the links? Thanks for the info. This is the first year outside.

Dawn K

Not want you want to hear, but you may have to modify your garden to grow pest resistant native varieties, or plants that suit the climate and conditions better. The right plant in the right place thrives. Otherwise you work very hard for dubious results, and endanger your tortoise and the environment.

I'm a second generation organic gardener. I have occasionally used liquid soap as a pesticide.

I am trying to go organic. I just never thought about the seed itself. I use organic soil and manure. The plants are growing great. It is the tiny pests that are hanging around and native weeds that my tortoise won't eat that I need to do something about. I have heard about liquid soap. What brand do you use? Someone has also mentioned vinegar for weeds. What do you think? Thanks for the info.

Dawn K

Diatomaceous earth is a good idea, yes. Thanks leigti. Be sure it is food grade always.
Just say no to toxic weed killers, as most are.
Sullies do eat oh so very well, the little lawn mowers slash tractors slash bulldozers! : )

I am wondering about Diatomaceous earth. I use it for my pool and it says not to let it get on your skin. It is not food grade however. Wouldn't it dehydrate the tortoise if it came in contact with it and kill the plants also? I am just asking as i have not tried it for a safe pest control. Thanks for the info.

Dawn K

As far as a weed killer, I think this is the right recipe. 1 gallon white vinegar, 2 cups Epson salt, 1/4 cup blue Dawn dishwashing soap. Mix it well and spray it on the plants. It kills whatever plant you spray it on however so make sure it's just what you want to be dead :) I used it and it worked very well. You have to put it on every few weeks however.
Thanks so much, this sounds like a winner. Definitely will try this.:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am saying that I never really thought about if the plants I was buying were organic or not. I didn't think about the tiny plants. However, I make sure that I use no chemicals or pesticides around the area or on the plants. Hence the question I was asking on what is safe to use for weed and bugs.

I took your statement above to mean that you bought plants and planted or put them where your tortoise had access to them. It does not matter if they are "organic" or not, or if you replanted them or not. Plants purchased from any source that were grown in a commercial nursery are full of all sorts of systemic toxic chemicals. They put the chemical granules in the soil that the plants are grown in and the plants absorb the toxins into their cells so that the bugs won't eat them. Keeps decorative plants looking nice and pretty for resale. They don't intend for tortoise owners to buy these plants and feed them to their animals.

This is what I was getting at.