Well, Heeeeeeeere's Mo!!!

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Napa, Ca
The enclosure is still a work in progress. Still fine tuning the temps, but pretty much at 100/83 during the day/lights on, and 87/78 at night. Any recommendations for compensating heat when lights turn off? I have a 100W heating element on the hot side and a 60W on the cool side. I have temp probes in each area. (yes there is a hide in the hot corner now, it wasn't ready at the time of the picture). There is also a top for the enclosure that is on it now (also not pictured).

any recommendations???

IMG_6424_zpsw8cjawbj.jpg
IMG_6422_zpszf9u5zdu.jpg
IMG_6421_zpsgqx0tjmh.jpg
IMG_6420_zpsatscv4qe.jpg
IMG_6443_zpsckno4adk.jpg
IMG_6442_zpsdndjjeuv.jpg

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Napa, Ca
I also added medium rocks to the water dishes so that he can walk across the dish in shallow water, and drink water from between the rocks. He was having a hard time getting to the water due to his size.

The tray of wheat grass is currently elevated out of his reach. as soon as it has established a solid root system, it will be lowered in and he will have grazing access should he so choose.....

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Is that all calcium powder on his food? Much less would be fine (it also tastes icky).

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I can see them.
Nice enclosure.
I can't see a cuttlefish bone, i'd add one of those.
And in the first picture there is the claw of some sort of monster sneaking into the enclosure on the far left.
Be careful of that. ;)

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Napa, Ca
I can see them.
Nice enclosure.
I can't see a cuttlefish bone, i'd add one of those.
And in the first picture there is the claw of some sort of monster sneaking into the enclosure on the far left.
Be careful of that. ;)
I didn't know those were recommended. Is it in lieu of dusting with calcium powder?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I didn't know those were recommended. Is it in lieu of dusting with calcium powder?
Yeah, as has been said, too much calcium powder can put some torts off their food. Cuttlefish provides this and helps keep the beak trimmed.
However, some torts only seem to nibble it when they need to or won't touch it at all in which case you can scrape a bit onto the food once or twice a week.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
He may not touch the cuttlebone for a while. I put mine in with my newest leopard and he ignored it for a few weeks and now he goes nuts for it...... btw great looking enclosure and MO is very cute.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Do you have a humid hide in there for Mo?

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Napa, Ca
Do you have a humid hide in there for Mo?
Yeah, I have a humid one in there, and another hide on the hot side (as well as one on the cold side, so 3 total). I don't know how I missed the cuttlefish bone on those care sheets. This is why I'm glad you are all here to help! Thanks!!

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Napa, Ca
Also, having a hard time keeping the hot side over 85 at night. Any recommendations?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
How many CHE'S are you using and do you have them set on a thermostat? My enclosure for my baby is a little smaller so I only need one, I let the cooler side drop around 82 at night and the warmest area stays around 90............. I went back to the Top and re read it, Maybe you need to lower the CHE

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
(Love the dirty hands!!)

That's a great enclosure. I think @Elohi also has that set up for her indoor leopards. Where do you get that?

Pat down the substrate with the palm of your hand and it makes it easier to walk on, no so fluffy. I like the broken pieces of cement (or whatever) for feeding. I like the distribution of plants. You can use a CHE at night to keep the temperature where you want it, or two CHEs. There's no need of a "hot side" at night. The hot side is for basking, and they sleep rather than bask at night. If you're 80-85F at night, that's good.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
(Love the dirty hands!!)

That's a great enclosure. I think @Elohi also has that set up for her indoor leopards. Where do you get that?

Pat down the substrate with the palm of your hand and it makes it easier to walk on, no so fluffy. I like the broken pieces of cement (or whatever) for feeding. I like the distribution of plants. You can use a CHE at night to keep the temperature where you want it, or two CHEs.

Yes!!! I was trying to remember what member used that set-up.

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Napa, Ca
(Love the dirty hands!!)

Pat down the substrate with the palm of your hand and it makes it easier to walk on, no so fluffy. I like the broken pieces of cement (or whatever) for feeding. I like the distribution of plants. You can use a CHE at night to keep the temperature where you want it, or two CHEs. There's no need of a "hot side" at night. The hot side is for basking, and they sleep rather than bask at night. If you're 80-85F at night, that's good.
Yes, that's who I got the whole idea from. Used almost the exact same setup actually. I just went 100% live plants. It whole thing works great. Got the enclosure from Home Depot (online). I'll eventually build my own, but buying this whole thing was actually cheaper than the cost of lumber.