Weight/growth concern :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Beaver Falls, Pa
About three and a half months ago I weighed my redfoots(I have two babies) one was 45grams the other was 48grams. Now three and a half months later the smaller one is only 51grams and the larger 52grams. Is that something to be concerned about. Seems kinda slow to me :( :huh:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TortForum mobile app

jerm42991

5 Year Member
What are their diets? Heat and humidity?

Also how big are they, straight carapace length?

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
They eat organic spring mix with herbs, zoo med forest tortoise food, occasional wax or mealworm, once a week fruits, I also grow them a fresh clover mix......they get soaked for 30min in the morning. Have a basking spot of 93def normal housing temp of about 80 and about 73 under the hide. They regulate their own temps from there. Humidity is about 60 during the night and about 30 during the day.......they have a drinking and a soaking water source and they use them both. They seem happy and healthy. I just think that's kinda a slow growth rate

abclements

5 Year Member
Your humidity is a concern... everything else seems spot on. The should be living in no less than 70% humidity at all times. The best way to achieve this would be to cover your enclosure or build a new closed chamber. Once you've taken care of the humidity problem, they should start growing a little faster. Also, feeding Mazuri a couple times a week sure makes mine grow nicely!

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
There is huge debate on humidity level for me. I used to keep it high and my Babys kept getting sick. I lowered it and they have Been fine since. The vet told me to range there humidity so it's not to damp to often because sometimes that can affect their lungs in a negative way. Which is what was happening to mine. :( that's y it is like that.

abclements

5 Year Member
Your tort shouldn't be getting sick in high humidity if you're keeping temps up. I make sure that my cool end never drops below 78 and I have never had any problems. I maintain somewhere between 78-85 degrees and it is always 85-90% humidity. Cool and damp equals a sick tort, warm and humid equals a very happy healthy red foot.

What are you using to measure temps? If it's one of the analogue thermometers from the pet store, it could be off by as much as 10 degrees either way...

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
i am completely digital actually. and other then i think they are growing a little slow they are very active and the vet says perfectly healthy now. and i put them outside a lot which around here i do not have high humidity. its ranging between 35-60 but never always the same. i just dont know........

abclements

5 Year Member
Ok. How experienced with torts is your vet? I only ask this because he/she is telling you what is typical of vets that have a little experience with torts, not a lot. Red foots come from south America and in the wild, experience humidities in the range of 60%-99% and not much lower if at all. Its a pyramiding issue, which can lead to metabolic bone disease. A little pyramiding isn't a problem, but lots is. And unfortunately red foots pyramid easily, so it's best to keep them in a humid environment at such a small size. High humidity at least part time is key to being a successful red foot keeper. If there is a way to keep them outside during the day (keeping them hydrated of course) and in a warm (80+ all night long), super humid night box, that would be ideal. I don't mean to sound rude, so I hope I don't come off that way! I'm just regurgitating info from red foot keepers that have a lot more years experience than I and have helped me in every way possible while raising my 14 month old cherry!

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
He only does reptilian. Has for like 30some years. I know 4 other tort owners that go there. One has been for 8 years so I would assume quite a bit. He is in the heart of a city and it's hard to get an appt lol.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
Update.....

I did as told and upped there humidity with a fogger and fixed there temps just a smidge higher. Also I made them a new enclosure that's bigger and more fun for them.

They seem to be more active now and they have things to climb and a lot more hides so they are out to see more. They are eating more and better. They enjoy there daily soaks.

Im hoping this is all a good sign that they are doing better and will start growing. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.