Weed killer

Angie williams

Hi.

About 2 years ago when we moved in we sprayed the entire garden with weed killer as it was so overgrown. Would it be ok for my little dude to eat what's growing there now?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
without knowing the potency or content of what you sprayed, it's hard to say yes or no with any confidence. What I use is very mild and diluted and would be fine in two years.
Some of that 12 month weed killer really stays around.
See about emailing the manufacturer.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My opinion differs. After two years of rain and depending on where you live, snow, it's not likely anything would be still there. I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm with Barb. Two years is plenty long enough for any residual poison to be gone.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Jumping in.

According to soil scientist, Lt. Col. Dr. Don M. Huber, formerly with USDA, if it is RoundUp, it stays in the soil 25 years unless bio-remediated. Google him to see his findings, and draw your own conclusion. I personally believe the monster minds of Monsanto have crimes against humanity hanging over their heads, like a Carrie (movie) blood bath.

I would replace the soil, or at the very least add a thick layer of untainted soil and compost. The organisms in compost, beneficial bacteria, mold and fungi can then get to work on fixing the weed killer tainted soil. I would not chance my tortoise eating glyphosate residues. Read up and see. Evil stuff. Lots of purposeful damage to people, animals, rivers, environment. And our politicians are funded/bought by that evil company. I think it started out as baby boomer population control and has morphed into making people sick is great inventory for money driven medicine. What a way to not have to pay out social security we can no longer afford, make em sick, make em die.

My personal, jaded opine.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
Jumping in.

According to soil scientist, Lt. Col. Dr. Don M. Huber, formerly with USDA, if it is RoundUp, it stays in the soil 25 years unless bio-remediated. Google him to see his findings, and draw your own conclusion. I personally believe the monster minds of Monsanto have crimes against humanity hanging over their heads, like a Carrie (movie) blood bath.

I would replace the soil, or at the very least add a thick layer of untainted soil and compost. The organisms in compost, beneficial bacteria, mold and fungi can then get to work on fixing the weed killer tainted soil. I would not chance my tortoise eating glyphosate residues. Read up and see. Evil stuff. Lots of purposeful damage to people, animals, rivers, environment. And our politicians are funded/bought by that evil company. I think it started out as baby boomer population control and has morphed into making people sick is great inventory for money driven medicine. What a way to not have to pay out social security we can no longer afford, make em sick, make em die.

My personal, jaded opine.
Just last week I read a story on line about some chemical in RoundUp turning up in California wines yipes! Not just an American issue they found the same chemical in European wines too.
To sort of quote General Jack Ripper
"Pure Grain Alcohol and rainwater"

Rue

Canada
Herbicides sold to the general public break down quite quickly - if they didn't, nothing would grow until they did.

More toxic products, such as soil sterilants - will last about a year - then vegetation will start growing again. The really toxic products aren't available to home gardeners, you'd have to be a licensed applicator.

So with regular gardening products, you're probably safe after a few days - but if you want to feel better, wait longer. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing.

Also...different products have a different chemical composition...and each product will break down faster or slower depending on the soil type, temperature, moisture/rainfall, amount of radiation, microbes in the soil, etc.

If you want more information, you'd need to look up the specific chemicals you used, otherwise it's hard to generalize more.