Weed I found

Mr. RussianTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
I couldn’t find my old post so I’m just going to post it again. Is this edible for my tortoise? I find it all over my lawn and I would be very grateful if it is edible and due to my research on tortoise table I think this is bittercressIMG_5746.jpeg

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
It's ground ivy, which goes by many name, including gill over the ground. Not recommended.

Your flower is from a dandelion or a close relative. Safe, but you should feed the leaves not just flowers.
I feed dandelion leaves too, some I got from the grocery store and some from outside

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It is actually probably cats ear. OP all these dandelion relatives are hard to tell apart but you can always see if they are safe by checking for little notches on the ends of the petals, also referred to as a sawtooth look.

Here is the photo of your cats ear, see you how the petals aren't smooth at the edge?

IMG_0246.jpeg

And one of dandelion:

IMG_0247.jpeg

And finally one of prickly sow thistle:

IMG_0248.jpeg

There are many chicories with a similar look and they are all safe. They even come in purple and pink! Just check the petal edges. They leaves also are similar, eventually developing a notched arrowhead pattern but that can be trickier to spot.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Oh my... These are so tiny details to be aware of... I've completely lost my confidence in plant identification... :) Unless it has a tag with latin name on it I wouldn't even try :) (and even then I'll be in doubt). I'm lucky to have a redfoot who forgives my ignorance...

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Oh my... These are so tiny details to be aware of... I've completely lost my confidence in plant identification... :) Unless it has a tag with latin name on it I wouldn't even try :) (and even then I'll be in doubt). I'm lucky to have a redfoot who forgives my ignorance...
Fair enough. I feel like redfoots can eat rocks and be just fine. :)

This group isn't that hard once you've looked at enough yellow flowers but I can understand wanting to be "sure." Especially if you are a new owner. Fortunately for me my Russian would also eat rocks. :)