Water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
Ralph has graduated from various sized water dishes (Water dishes to plant plates). He now has a trash can lid upside down. Because of the dome shape, I have to put rocks in it so he can get in and out. It's filled enough for him to soak.

You would think that's good.

It's too small for him. He has about an inch and a half room lengthwise. I need something bigger. I was thinking of the smallest toddler pool (actually a puppy pool they sell at Petsmart). Cutting one side to allow him access in and out and putting the pool at an angle by digging about 6 inches down and putting the pool at a slant. I'd probably put some astroturf in on the slant so he doesn't slip.

Any suggestions?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
DAC8671 said:
Ralph has graduated from various sized water dishes (Water dishes to plant plates). He now has a trash can lid upside down. Because of the dome shape, I have to put rocks in it so he can get in and out. It's filled enough for him to soak.

You would think that's good.

It's too small for him. He has about an inch and a half room lengthwise. I need something bigger. I was thinking of the smallest toddler pool (actually a puppy pool they sell at Petsmart). Cutting one side to allow him access in and out and putting the pool at an angle by digging about 6 inches down and putting the pool at a slant. I'd probably put some astroturf in on the slant so he doesn't slip.

Any suggestions?

I've been having this dilemma lately too. I need something the diameter of a kiddie pool, but not so deep. My 50 pounders still can't climb out of them. If I put rocks or paving stones in there, it will #1. be too heavy and cumbersome to lift and clean everyday and #2. That stuff will likely wear a hole in the bottom. My latest idea is to cut a few inches off the height and bury the rest nearly flush with the ground. My worry is that removing that rounded rim will weaken it to the point of ripping open when full. I'm guessing the hole will support the sides a bit, but it will cost me $11 to find out. I don't know what Petsmart sells them for, but they are $10 bucks, plus tax, at Wal-mart.

I'd love to hear any other ideas.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
I tried something like this and you'd have thought I was killing RV. She refuses to soak except on her terms. So that will be when I make a pool under the lemon tree. Its the only tree big enough for her to soak under. She gets a soak maybe once a week - more like less than that. We do have water for her to drink 24/7, at her desire. Of note, even when there is a big muddy water hole under the tree, she sometimes does, sometimes doesn't soak. If she does wallow (and she does wallow) mostly she flings mud and muck on top of her carapace. Then she is truly a happy tort.

teri

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
dig a shallow hole and spread concrete in it..
it makes a nice watering hole. Mine does have a slow leak, but they also have the garbage can lid if needed..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use the top of a garbage toter for Dudley.

100_1105.jpg

Its not big enough for him to throw water up on his back, and sometimes when I'm watching him I feel kinda' bad about that...but its big enough for him to sit in and drink from. I have it dug down into the ground and its easy to tip up and hose out.

If you can find out the phone number of the manager of your garbage company's yard, you can call and ask what they do with broken toters. He might be happy for you to come get some.

kfb

5 Year Member
Arizona
OK I might actually have something to contribute here:) Yeah! There is a hole in the corner of my backyard that used to be a plant (died) but the hole remains filled with grass. This morning I was watering the yard and noticed hey that hole is full of water. So I took Shelly over and put her in, she loved it! It was a bit deep so I put a brick in the bottom and she just soaked and soaked. Happy Happy Tort! Now she is small (10X17)and the hole is the perfect size for her but... I was thinking when she outgrows the hole I can dig a wider hole and put a piece of grass sod in it. Instant soaking hole and the thing I like is the gunk will naturally sink in, so nothing to clean out. Unless she poos in there then that can be scooped when the water sinks in. Oh also I am home all day so whenever I see her outside I turn on the sprinkler (114 today) to help keep her cool while she grazes.

bighog85

5 Year Member
I have seen people use something like a big bird bath or piece of a fountain buried flush into the ground too. I have been trying to figure something out as well that looks nice and is functional and easy to clean. I even thought about an old satellite dish if I could find one, but so far I have been unsuccessful finding anything like that. I really like the idea of the bird bath but finding one big enough is also proving difficult. I'm just gonna keep looking I guess.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Laura said:
it makes a nice watering hole.

i like this idea best. and if you dont want to put concrete in, how about a tarp, or plastic lining, or pond lining, or something of the sort.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
if thinking satellite dishes, why not go larger and get a disk for sledding. I don't remember the proper word for the thing, but it was a big plastic disk for sledding down the snow covered hills. Of course, I've lived in desert country for almost 20 years, and so have forgotten most of the cold weather stuff.

bighog85

5 Year Member
sharkstar said:
if thinking satellite dishes, why not go larger and get a disk for sledding. I don't remember the proper word for the thing, but it was a big plastic disk for sledding down the snow covered hills. Of course, I've lived in desert country for almost 20 years, and so have forgotten most of the cold weather stuff.

Oh I wasn't thinking just a small satellite dish. I have one of those sitting around. I was thinking those 5 or 6 footers that are really old. The sled is something that I thought about as well but it is hard to find one during the summer. I like the concrete idea, I might have to try that.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
most of mine are not big enough yet, for this problem they still use various size water dishes except for my CDT he will not drink from any dish, he drinks the dirty water when I water the grass.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
Thanks for all the suggestions.

The only way he drinks water is if he's sitting in the dish, so I have to have something big enough for him to physically get in. I can't do concrete, we are in military housing and can't do anything permanent. I can only dig down 6 inches (and that's really pushing it) because of where the sprinklers are (some areas of my backyard the pvc pipes are only about 3 inches down). I like the broken garbage tote idea. I'll have to see about calling the company tomorrow. I also like the sled idea, however I'm in San Diego so it will be hard for me to find something in store. Whatever I use, I will need to be able to clean it out daily, so even digging a shallow hole and putting a pond liner in it wouldn't work.

I really appreciate the ideas!

moswen

5 Year Member
Laura said:
it makes a nice watering hole. Mine does have a slow leak, but they also have the garbage can lid if needed..

This is exactly what I was going to do when mine get big enough. Basically make them a tortoise pool. Make it slowly slope in at every angle and just keep it shallow.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm entertaining the concrete idea, but there are two things I don't like about it.
1. Its so permanent. I mean you could always break out the sledge and jack hammers, if you ever wanted to get rid of it, but that's some serious work.
2. How do you clean a porous, several hundred pound, depression in the ground, that's constantly full of tortoise poop and dirt?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have cement "ponds" for my box turtles. I just scraped out an indentation in the dirt, about two feet across and about 6" deep at the middle. Then I spread redi-mix over it. Like Laura's, it has a slow leak, but it works great. Every morning I take the hose out there and scoop out the old water with my hands, then re-fill it with the hose. It isn't so dirty that it requires any hard cleaning. Just scoop out the old. If you want to brush away the algae (which I don't), you could use a brush and scrub it before you re-fill it. Piece of cake.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's all well and good, Jason, but where's the picture of Mr. T in his water???

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
i use a 3' diameter hard plastic kiddie pool. i cut an entryway for Mr T to get in and out of. it works real well, has about 3-4 inches of water in it and he can still get in and out ok. it is like $10 and has lasted all summer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Red Earth Exotics said:
i use a 3' diameter hard plastic kiddie pool. i cut an entryway for Mr T to get in and out of. it works real well, has about 3-4 inches of water in it and he can still get in and out ok. it is like $10 and has lasted all summer.

SEE! This is why I love this forum!

Perfect solution for me. I don't have to mess with concrete. I don't have to dig a big hole. I don't have to cut the whole top off of a kiddie pool. Makes it easy to dump, scrub and rinse.

Perfect Perfect Perfect!!!

What took you so long?

THANK YOU!

I'll post pics when its done.

Status
Not open for further replies.