water proofing/substrate ?s

Status
Not open for further replies.

July

5 Year Member
So I've undertaken the task of building my first and only tort table. It is 4x8 and all wood. I need to seal it/waterproof/mold/mildew proof the whole thing. Should I use polyurathane (sp?) on the whole thing? My whole goal is to use the wood we have around the place and not buy too much on the building of it. Sort of a challenge. I have managed to make the whole thing with recycled wood except for one plywood sheet I bought. I heard of the whole shower curtain liner trick too. I don't want to have to buy linoleum if I don't have to....recommendations?
At that size, I hope to make some sort of soil/peat moss/mulch mix for substrate and buy big bags at Lowes--any specific rec's on that?
I want to have very happy torts this winter!
Mary

Becki

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque
Hi Mary and welcome!
I don't know your location but Freecycle would be a great way to get some linoleum. Just post an ad and ask if anyone has some laying around...everything on that site is free.
I did the shower curtain liner,sorry I can't comment on the poly.
What kind of tort(s) do you have?
Best of luck!

movealongmosey

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
It was suggested in another thread to use Dry lock, which I used building my enclosure. It's rough because its for masonry, but its waterproof.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I painted Dale's enclosure (inside and out) and then we lined it with painters plastic all the way to the top and stapled it. I then used part dirt part mulch and part moss. It worked great and he loved it and I could wet it all I wanted to and it didn't touch the wood. Good luck and post pictures when you are done. :D

DSC00182.jpg

DSC00186.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Candy, could you please give me the dimensions for that enclosure. I am in the process of making Pio a bigger enclosure and am going to give his other one to the new little guy I'm getting. I know that Dale is about the same size as Pio, so I'm wondering how big I should go with this. Also when you water the plants do you have any problems with the water getting stagnant on the bottom, or did you put any stones for drainage.
Mary, I'm sorry I don't mean to hijack your thread.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Roof Rubber or the Rubber Liner used to put under hot water heaters, the liner material is sold by the linear foot 6 feet wide by what ever length you want at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.Its heavy enough where you dot have to worry about leaks.I use it for outdoor ponds and never had a puncture.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Len is it comparable to a pond liner? I have alot of that left over from when I took out my pond.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I used linoleum and its been working pretty good for me. Looks nice as well.

I love that enclosure Candy. Maybe I missed it and you've already done this, but could you post more pics of it in another thread and maybe some process pictures of you building it. It really looks like it belongs in that room.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
terryo said:
Len is it comparable to a pond liner? I have alot of that left over from when I took out my pond.
[/quote Yes, Maybe a little heavier

I went into never never land (my garage) and found the roll of liner rubber and it is 40 mil thick and by visual comparison the roof rubber is slightly thicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.