Wanting another tortoise

My tortoise died less than a week ago and I really want another one. Sunday I'm going to the reptile show here in Cleveland and I was thinking about getting a baby redfoot but idk. Does anybody have any good tortoise suggestions for me. I live in Cleveland so he's going to be inside a lot. And I want a medium size tortoise. Here's a picture of my certain enclouser I will be getting lots of plants to go around the edges (I do have a top to go over the enclouser I just took it off) I plan on upgrading it in about 2 years.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Don't rush into it, find out what species you want, then study up and set the enclosure up before you get another.

My tortoise died less than a week ago and I really want another one. Sunday I'm going to the reptile show here in Cleveland and I was thinking about getting a baby redfoot but idk. Does anybody have any good tortoise suggestions for me. I live in Cleveland so he's going to be inside a lot. And I want a medium size tortoise. Here's a picture of my certain enclouser I will be getting lots of plants to go around the edges (I do have a top to go over the enclouser I just took it off) I plan on upgrading it in about 2 years.
Forgot the pic..

1490145724415.jpg

Don't rush into it, find out what species you want, then study up and set the enclosure up before you get another.
I've been doing a lot of research on redfoots and I think a baby redfoot would be suitable for the habitat I have now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The reptile show is not the place to buy a tortoise unless you already know the seller and know that they start their babies correctly.

Buy from a reputable breeder on this site so you don't end up with another problem.

The reptile show is not the place to buy a tortoise unless you already know the seller and know that they start their babies correctly.

Buy from a reputable breeder on this site so you don't end up with another problem.
Any good redfoot breeders on here then?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Any good redfoot breeders on here then?
Which state are you in? They don't all ship.

Redfoots need a different setup to testudo and sulcatas.
- They need a closed chamber to keep the humidity up.
- They don't need a basking lamp.
- They do need constant warmth day and night
- They need tube UVB.

You will need to make changes to Thor's enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ashley:

I'm sorry, but I don't think that's a good enclosure. It looks too small. Also, the way the plastic is looks like the tortoise would be able to climb out pretty easily. Once you dump that substrate, you'll need to smooth the plastic so there's no air behind it. Make it tight to the container. But, in my opinion, it needs to be bigger.

One thing about plants - tortoises use them as ladders to climb out when you have the plants next to a wall. Plants should be out away from the wall.

Hi Ashley:

I'm sorry, but I don't think that's a good enclosure. It looks too small. Also, the way the plastic is looks like the tortoise would be able to climb out pretty easily. Once you dump that substrate, you'll need to smooth the plastic so there's no air behind it. Make it tight to the container. But, in my opinion, it needs to be bigger.

One thing about plants - tortoises use them as ladders to climb out when you have the plants next to a wall. Plants should be out away from the wall.
Well, that sucks Thanks anyway ❤

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you buy a large plastic tub you won't need to line it with plastic. You can get a big one at a home improvement store for a pretty cheap price. Try to find one with a large floor space. You don't really need tall sides, just more floor space. For example, this 64 quart container is 2' x 1.5 feet and only costs $17.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00012FER6/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

You could buy two of them and either cut a hole in opposing sides and add a pipe tunnel, or you could cut off opposing ends and put them together to make one long habitat. If you get a baby, one tub would do until he outgrows it.

Last edited:

Dėad Lee

Wrong type of substrate, they recommend cypress and they can't be kept humid by moist substrate or they'll get shell rot on their plastron.

If you buy a large plastic tub you won't need to line it with plastic. You can get a big one at a home improvement store for a pretty cheap price. Try to find one with a large floor space. You don't really need tall sides, just more floor space. For example, this 64 quart container is 2' x 1.5 feet and only costs $17.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00012FER6/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

You could buy two of them and either cut a hole in opposing sides and add a pipe tunnel, or you could cut off opposing ends and put them together to make one long habitat. If you get a baby, one tub would do until he outgrows it.
The book self that I have now is 29.63L X 11.63W X 31.63H which is larger than that tub. Maybe it's just the picture that makes it look so small. What if I just take all the plastic off and redo it? These are the pictures I took when I first put it together

Attachments

• 1490299936364.jpg
    1490299936364.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 1490299956481.jpg
    1490299956481.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 21

Dėad Lee

To keep the humidity up alot of people tent the enclosure like a greenhouse and use a fogger or ultrasonic vaporizer.

BILBO-03

Somebody is trying to sale a Dalmatian Hermanns tortoise in Columbus Ohio isn't that where you are located? The males only get 5 inches and females can get 7+ but most are 5-6. They are also extremely personable.