Wanting a Box Turt in Maine/NH area!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
Hello, looking for a Box Turtle in the Maine/New Hampshire area.

I'd pay an adoption fee, of course, and appreciate any supplies you give with it, however I am more than able to get all needed supplies.

Any age or size or type. :)

The only way I'd feel comfortable with him/her being shipped is if it was a neighboring state (Mass/Vermont).

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Better check your state wildlife laws first. I believe that American species of Box turtles are protected in both Maine and New Hampshire. They definitely are in Massachussetts and Vermont. As well as in New York state and Connecticut. In most (possibly all) of the forementioned states it is illegal to remove one from the wild within that state. A permit must be obtained from the state and the turtle purchased from a legal source. The state wildlife agency may also require proof of the purchase (a receipt). They will then also have the right to inspect the turtle's accomodations whenever they feel necessary. Few often do unless they suspect something illegal going on.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Well, I'd want to do everything within legalities. I'd be looking to adopt one or get one from a breeder, only.

I know they sell them at pet stores (Cringe) in Maine, but I haven't seen them in NH.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I believe GBtorts is correct, you need a permit to have a box turtle in Maine as they are endangered. They ARE NOT listed in the unrestricted pet/animal sections for Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife (you need a permit):

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/wildlife/species/unrestricted_species.htm

Eastern box turtles and blandings turtles declined massively as a result of the pet trade and habitat loss and destruction in much of New England.

Good news, you could get a permit! Contact Dept of IF&W and inquire (http://www.maine.gov/ifw/). Alternatively, there are other turtle and tortoise species that are unrestricted and very awesome listed in the link above! I know of a breeder for multiple tortoise species in Maine; all are legal to possess without a permit, if you're interested shoot me a personal message/email.

That pet shop either has a permit or needs to be reported to IF&W A.S.A.P.!!!

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Oh wow. Is there a way I can check if they have a permit? =\

I didn't know! I feel bad now.

What about a Ornate or Chinese Box?

Also, I will send you a message, Red. :)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Nixxy said:
Oh wow. Is there a way I can check if they have a permit? =\

I didn't know! I feel bad now.

What about a Ornate or Chinese Box?

Also, I will send you a message, Red. :)

Heck, no worries!

I just saw you were in NH, they too require a permit.

http://www.wildnh.com/Wildlife/Nongame/RAARP/herp_rules.htm

I doubt Ornate or Chinese Box turtles require a permit - anyone in NH know this information!?

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
I can assure you though, the one I saw at the Petco in Portland last year was an Eastern. Which makes since that they are restricted up here, considering how rare they are. I've seen ONE in the wild.

Ornate or Chinese would be nice, but I'm also thinking of a Hermans, Russian, or Greek!

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Here in Maryland though it doesn't exactly say it but Terrapene to be sold legally have to be of captive origin. The law says no wild caught Maryland box turtles may be sold, but in reality the don't differentiate between species or subspecies except the aquatic one. Which means basically you have to have proof that a wild caught turtle isn't from Maryland. Though I am not sure how things work in NH.

Status
Not open for further replies.