Walk or carry

kakashi_12

Location (City and/or State)
Erie
This is going to sound ridiculous, but can I take my tortoise in a reptile/pet bag when I go places OR take my tortoise for a walk in any way, shape, or form?
People take their crazy dogs for walks all over the place...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That can stress them out a lot. Some people do take their tortoises on education expeditions to class rooms etc.
I have a couple leopards that don't seem to care about anything. They would do good doing any of the above.
I guess it depends on your tort reacts to changes.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
This is going to sound ridiculous, but can I take my tortoise in a reptile/pet bag when I go places OR take my tortoise for a walk in any way, shape, or form?
Our Hermanns tortoise will be 23 next week, and he is still small enough to be carried by my husband. We take him out every day - he doesn't object to rides in the car - and he really enjoys looking at different places and meeting people. He is fascinated looking at the movement of waves and long grass in the wind. He loves to look at flowers -in fact, he is interested in all sorts of things. We can tell this by the way he stretches his head right out, and the intensity of his gaze. He is perfectly calm. The one thing we never do is put him on the ground if there are any dogs around. You might think us very weird, but he has met hundreds of people, who are amazed at the way he looks at them with such interest.
I don't think it would be safe to literally have him walking along beside us - also he has a thing about shoes, and would be easily distracted !
Angie (in uk)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises do not like change. They do best when left in their familiar area and not moved around too much. I am a proponent of having two enclosures for smaller tortoises and for people in climates that are not great for tortoises. One indoors and one outdoors. All the tortoises I have ever done this with are a bit stressed their first few times in the new outdoor enclosure, but become familiar with it and get comfortable quickly, because they have been there before and it is the same each time. I don't think they'd settle in very well if they went into a new and unfamiliar enclosure each time they went outside.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I can’t see any way in which the pros of doing it outweigh the cons, but others may have different experiences

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If I was a tortoise I'd 💩 big time on anyone and anything that picked me up and hauled me around - but that's just me.😁

kakashi_12

Erie
Can you post pictures I wanna see the little fella
See link below.