Vision Problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA
Can torts have vision problems, other then blindness?
For example, near sighted or have depth perception problems?

My tortoise often bites and misses his lettuce, by quite a bit of distance. I know he's not blind because he'll retreat into his shell when startled.

Does anyone know what causes this? Or has anyone else had these problems?
Thanks

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I am dealing with this now.

I have a russian that I hand feed due to it.

She can find her way home and up the ramp, but falls off the side 50% of the time.

She is in a large pen and always walks the edges... I dont know the answer but i feel your pain

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Skyler Nell said:

My tortoise often bites and misses his lettuce, by quite a bit of distance. I know he's not blind because he'll retreat into his shell when startled.

Thanks

Could be partially blind, but still react to movement or changes in light.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but at one time did you have one of those coil flourescent bulbs over your tort? If that was someone else, I apologize. If not, that may be the source of your problem.

flyinghome

5 Year Member
i think torts have very sharp vision, on the fisrt days after my tort came to my home, she could notice me in more that 4 meters and retreated to her shell at once.

But unlike humans, their eyes are not on a plane, but on two sides of their heads. i think maybe this anatomic limitation bring some flaws in object location especially when the object is near their heads.

I am not sure. I saw a documentary movie several years ago, which seemd talk about something like this.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it has to do with binocular vision. When the two eyes are working together, they have no trouble zoning in on an item, but when one or the other of the eyes isn't working properly, they have trouble with distance and perception. Try the eye ointment for a few days.

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
Tom said:
Skyler Nell said:

Thanks

Could be partially blind, but still react to movement or changes in light.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but at one time did you have one of those coil flourescent bulbs over your tort? If that was someone else, I apologize. If not, that may be the source of your problem.

Nope, I never had the flourescent coil bulb. Just a regular old bulbs before. But no apologies needed!

This is all very interesting. Do you think it's possible for them to have a large amount of different types of eye problems?

He's still able to eat and everything on his own. I don't really see any other problems, I only feel bad for him when he keeps missing the bites! He doesn't give up though, he sure has a big appetite :)

And where could I get eye ointment??

M

Maggie Cummings

You can order it on line...Terramycin eye ointment ...it comes in a yellow tube about $15 and it works wonders...

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Its kind of hard to find right now. I suggest going to your vet and asking them if you can just buy some

Status
Not open for further replies.